What’s this mean?

2conures

Mar 20, 2021
My conure does this little move where he grabs his tail feathers when he’s happy… it’s adorable, but I’m wondering if it’s a common thing. I hope the video I posted shows up ok…

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm very sorry, 2conures, your video is not showing up :( Perhaps the tutorial in the link below may help you? The first part is regarding posting a video from a computer, and if you scroll further down there are tips about how to post a video from your phone...

Hope this helps!

OP

2conures

Mar 20, 2021
I'm very sorry, 2conures, your video is not showing up :( Perhaps the tutorial in the link below may help you? The first part is regarding posting a video from a computer, and if you scroll further down there are tips about how to post a video from your phone...

Hope this helps!
Thanks for letting me know!! I’ll try it that way.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
My conure does this little move where he grabs his tail feathers when he’s happy… it’s adorable, but I’m wondering if it’s a common thing. I hope the video I posted shows up ok…
View attachment 31840
It does not look normal to me honestly. It appears something is bothering his leg. Can he stand up straight and walk around without twitching his leg?

OP

2conures

Mar 20, 2021
It does not look normal to me honestly. It appears something is bothering his leg. Can he stand up straight and walk around without twitching his leg?
He can stand and walk normally. He does this when he’s sitting with us, occasionally. It seems like he does this when he’s relaxed.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
If anything, I would suggest it looks like he is perhaps a little "too" happy, in a sexual way, which is not particularly desirable. I would avoid touching him around his tail as it would appear that he is responding to your touch and further stimulating himself by grabbing his tail. I've had hen cockatiels do similar things with their tails in the past. Touching or stroking a bird anywhere other than the head and neck can have unfortunate consequences when we are unable to meet those needs as it can easily lead to frustration in the bird and aggression may very well result.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
He can stand and walk normally. He does this when he’s sitting with us, occasionally. It seems like he does this when he’s relaxed.
It's strange never seen this. Have you touched and inspected his little leg to see if there is anything unusual? Best to mention to your vet on the next checkup just to make sure.

Seeing LaManuka's comments, that's remind me of my Senegal used to do that too but only the tail not the leg that's why I am a little bit worry about his leg.

Last edited:
OP

2conures

Mar 20, 2021
If anything, I would suggest it looks like he is perhaps a little "too" happy, in a sexual way, which is not particularly desirable. I would avoid touching him around his tail as it would appear that he is responding to your touch and further stimulating himself by grabbing his tail. I've had hen cockatiels do similar things with their tails in the past. Touching or stroking a bird anywhere other than the head and neck can have unfortunate consequences when we are unable to meet those needs as it can easily lead to frustration in the bird and aggression may very well result.
Interesting!! I never realized they would respond like that. He definitely seems provoked when my daughter strokes his back. I’ll have to explain that he could get a little frustrated ( she’s only 10….not sure how in-depth I will go). Thanks, it makes sense.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
o agree looks like self simulation!"
Every critters does find a way, breeding season along mine find ways..
But if it happens a lot, make sure you are not petting back. Only head . Tge wrong kind if cuddling makes them turned on

Most Reactions

Latest posts