what's your opinion on treat sticks.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
20221230_193443.jpg

Like the one above... I'm thinking of getting some for the birds just has a fun little treat but I've always had a kind of poor opinion of them because those who feed them usually use them as like a diet replacement and not a fun little treat. What do you guys think? Is there a way to DIY these?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I would be more comfortable making my own rather than buying them, that way you know exactly what's in them and can make them so your bird like most of the ingredients.

I also wouldn't trust Kaytee products as they tend to not be very on top of their food sanitation.

You could mix various seeds/nuts/dried or freeze dried fruit/veg then hold them together with honey or egg yolk (if you use egg yolk you'd have to bake them.)

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I would be more comfortable making my own rather than buying them, that way you know exactly what's in them and can make them so your bird like most of the ingredients.

I also wouldn't trust Kaytee products as they tend to not be very on top of their food sanitation.

You could mix various seeds/nuts/dried or freeze dried fruit/veg then hold them together with honey or egg yolk (if you use egg yolk you'd have to bake them.)
if I used honey how would I get it to harden?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
if I used honey how would I get it to harden?
I guess you could freeze it? Or maybe bake it? I've never made these before 😅

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have made similar thinks with a bit of honey but using egg to bind the seeds onto a pine cone and then baking it.

My birds did enjoy tearing up the pinecones to get the seed treats.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I dunno, I think it would be a very rare treat but even then, I would never give him one if it isn't his hatchday as I see them as like, those heartstopping cancerous seven quadrillion pounds of cheese cheeseburgers with onion rings, whole pickles, two thousand pounds of ketchup, mustard, mayo, with sprinkled on corndogs and donuts that you ALWAYS see at American state fairs.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I dunno, I think it would be a very rare treat but even then, I would never give him one if it isn't his hatchday as I see them as like, those heartstopping cancerous seven quadrillion pounds of cheese cheeseburgers with onion rings, whole pickles, two thousand pounds of ketchup, mustard, mayo, with sprinkled on corndogs and donuts that you ALWAYS see at American state fairs.
Sounds like a Cheeseburger in Paradise to me! Anyway, I wouldn't give those treat sticks to my birds. They are just seeds, which are not good for them, all stuck together with something that's probably not good for them either. And per ounce they are very expensive. Kaytee makes LOTS of money on these overpriced birdie junk foods. Why not just give them an organically grown plump millet spray for a treat? They'll love it just as much if not more for much less money.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Sounds like a Cheeseburger in Paradise to me! Anyway, I wouldn't give those treat sticks to my birds. They are just seeds, which are not good for them, all stuck together with something that's probably not good for them either. And per ounce they are very expensive. Kaytee makes LOTS of money on these overpriced birdie junk foods. Why not just give them an organically grown plump millet spray for a treat? They'll love it just as much if not more for much less money.
tbh I don't enjoy using millet much as 3 years later, I am STILL finding millet hulls in my doorless closet where my budgie's cage was! way too messy. I just make my own little gourmet treat sticks now or I give seeds from his seed blend (used in foragers or training) or very occasionally, buy nutriberries. I prefer giving him seeds or eggs though as he goes ham for both.

Most Reactions