What's Your Parrot Up To Today?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I keep finding myself wanting to post little updates about my current foster birds or Cotton's little brother Opie, but Cotton would be jealous if I did it on his Journey thread ;)

So I thought I'd start this thread :)

Today is nice and sunny in Minnesota and the parrots are all enjoying that it's warmed up a bit. There's been a loud morning discussion back and forth between their two rooms, to my poor dog's dismay πŸ™ƒ

I've had to work from home a lot this week, which the birds all loved! But as the week progressed my coworkers became a lot more involved πŸ˜†

My temporary foster S is an excellent teammate (and of course my All Time Quality Control Officer Cotton has to oversee everything)

PXL_20221229_190932912.jpg

He does, however, insist on a leisurely lunch break!

PXL_20221229_194502376.jpg

My junior analyst Opie on the other hand has discovered how to log me out of my remote desktop πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜‚

PXL_20221229_164552288.MP.jpg

Happy Year End, PF Family!

How are you and your birds closing out the year today? :)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I love this!

Okay, so with the recent addition of Avery the grey to my little flock, they've been trying to establish who should get attention from me. Avery is done with being quarantined to the dining room, and his cage is now next to Baxter's. He's a grey, so of course his sound effects are brilliantly accurate. His latest fascination is a knocking on the door sound. Now whenever I pay any attention to Baxter, he starts "knocking" and waits for me to say, "who's there?" and looks quite proud that he's diverted the attention away from his next door neighbor! 🀣

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Denise, you are so lucky to have those amazing helpers!
I am dying laughing at Opie, that is too funny!

Jon, Avery is brilliant. How is he getting along with Baxter and Tucker now?

I think Justice missed me while I've been sick:)
I have said "I love you" to every single bird, multiple times a day and until now Charley was the only one who said it back...only thing is he says "I love you Daddy". Thanks, Buddy.

However, Justice now says it every time I come into the room:)
In fact, even the birds who didn't like me are excited to see me. I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh nooooo πŸ˜‚πŸ’”

Go Justice!! I bet that warmed your heart!
Oh, it did so much! The first time I had tears in my eyes.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe weather here on the Isle of Long, NY has been crazy, teens (in oF) up to low 60's today, after a storm last night cut power briefly. Its overcast, gloomy and wierdly foggy like out now. So much fun having to reset all our electronic overlords this AM. Salty takes it like a sleeping champ. As long as the cover is off by 10 and breakfast shortly after, he is fine.

More serious note, Geri has shingles, a bad case of them. First time any of us are dealing with this condition. Its frightfully painful, highly contagious to me and my son, and difficult to maintain barriers and contamination. But we soldier on, right? I might try to take Salty with me later when I go out getting supplies, he can use the change of scenery.

I wish it was possible for us to take on rescues or at least foster a few parrots, but not in the cards.

Hoping all of you have a Happy New Year IN 2023 !!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oh Al, I'm so sorry about Geri's shingles! My Aunt Deane had them once, and she was the strongest woman I've ever known when it came to pain but she couldn't keep from crying. It was awful.
Is Geri on pain meds I hope?
Sending prayers for quick healing for her.

Please give Salty a scritch from me!

Happy New Year 2023!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Oh no @wrench13 ! A friend of mine just had shingles and it sounds truly awful!

Cheers to the new year bringing your family health and continued happiness!

I don't think my life is ideal for fosters, honestly, but the rescue here didn't have good options through the holidays. They put a LOT of blind faith in my ability to give meds and care for species I'd not yet seen, that's for sure!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I love reading how everyone is doing; what a great thread idea!

@Cottonoid Opie logging out of Remote Desktop is hilarious. β€œNo work for you, more attention now!”

@saxguy64 Avery is so cute and too smart! Trying to steal all the attention.

@Terry57 that is precious - I hope Ona says β€œI love you” at some point. It’s such a unique experience to have a pet who can verbally tell you how they feel.

@wrench13 So sorry to hear about the shingles. Wishing you all the best.

Ona is CLINGY today. Every time I put her down she says β€œstep up” non stop! My goodnesss. We’ve been working on a new trick β€œgive me foot” so I can peacefully file her nails. She’s making progress but I can’t file them yet. I’m about to go volunteer dog walking soon and she will probably be mad at me for leaving.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I'm sure Ona will get there :)
It's taken 8 years for Justice to say it, I think he was holding back:)

Ona may be mad that you're leaving but I bet she will be thrilled when you get back home:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Today, Willow is climbing down into his basket to eat avicake scraps and Jasper is yelling because I’m holding Willow. Soon we will switch. Willow is licking my hand. He usually smells so nice. Kind of floral and grassy. Jasper really does have monkey breath so it’s hard to tell what his feathers smell like.

Both birds are usually quite cuddly! I just wish they didn’t go to sleep so early in the winter.

I’ve been doing a big needlepoint canvas and if I can get the bird to stay n my shoulder it works well. BUT they do recognize and remember scissors from wing clippings maybe twice a year. I hope they will get over their alert as I use the scissors on thread and not on birds.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
THe weather here on the Isle of Long, NY has been crazy, teens (in oF) up to low 60's today, after a storm last night cut power briefly. Its overcast, gloomy and wierdly foggy like out now. So much fun having to reset all our electronic overlords this AM. Salty takes it like a sleeping champ. As long as the cover is off by 10 and breakfast shortly after, he is fine.

More serious note, Geri has shingles, a bad case of them. First time any of us are dealing with this condition. Its frightfully painful, highly contagious to me and my son, and difficult to maintain barriers and contamination. But we soldier on, right? I might try to take Salty with me later when I go out getting supplies, he can use the change of scenery.

I wish it was possible for us to take on rescues or at least foster a few parrots, but not in the cards.

Hoping all of you have a Happy New Year IN 2023 !!
@wrench13, I’m sorry to hear Geri is dealing with shingles! I hope you and your son manage to avoid it and that she feels better very soon πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

My hubby is attempting to spend a peaceful morning reading a book. Val and Lovejoy however have other ideas!
0F8D3819-33CC-40AA-95B3-A1D657284F51.jpeg
1D065E27-F688-493F-B9A6-D9C63402D889.jpeg
7CBF732C-9193-44E4-9928-86059A9B6B13.jpeg

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Every time I put her down she says β€œstep up” non stop
This is hilarious!

Opie has learned "Good Boy!" and it's his favorite thing in the world some days - the first day he said it, it was every 30 seconds all day long for every action including biting me on the ear :LOL: He also really likes to say it in his naptime mumbles to himself.

I just wish they didn’t go to sleep so early in the winter.
Cotton is ADAMANT about bedtime being 530p still. He will not deviate from his chosen bedtime! He makes his preparations quite a while beforehand so it's been tricky some work days to get home before he's ready for bed!

a peaceful morning reading a book
Well I don't see how much more peaceful he could be! Hahahaha! So cute!

I finally got around to giving the boys their Christmas gifts from other parrot friends and Ope was so gentle! Ha!

1672713382105.png

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Huh. Willow has been working on β€œgood boy!” too. Maybe it’s a QP trend. He likes it more if I say it with AS MUCH INFLECTION and excitement as possible. But generally he just moves his beak and tongue; he doesn’t often repeat the words. Why?? Who knows?

And someone has been saying β€œpretty”; I’m going to guess it’s Jasper as it’s a less little girly voice than Willow has.

Jasper has been very chill lately. He’s been enjoying longer out times before he gets pinchy; he likes me to put my hand around his head and kiss his beak very smackily. Jasper has not bitten me hard for a month or so. (Shh you didn’t hear that.). And Willow has gotten over his mad from me picking him up on Christmas Eve and has stopped biting me when I ask him to step up IF I shake the treat jar and offer him a treat if he steps up.

Both boys are enjoying a rabbit herb salad with flowers that I ordered from chewy. I have seen online some neat uses for ladders and boings and so I’m going to trick out their big tree playgym.

Also, my neighbor has this plant stand that’s a tension Rod that goes from floor to ceiling. With several plastic paddles that jut out to put the plant pots on. He was convinced I should have it. I had nowhere to put it at the time, but now I’m thinking it would make a really nice vertical bird playgym. Especially if I drilled some holes to hang boings and bird toys from. Maybe I could set it up somewhere that the little devils couldn’t get down from.

I will present photos if I set up anything new. Tomorrow’s task is first making some OLD things go away.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ugh, I have a good one today!

My parrot is sitting on my kitchen table, because it turns out the sewage entry line was under my desk in my office (YUCK!!) which is also his room! We had to call a roto-rooter guy out because our 3rd floor bathtub was draining bath bubbles into the basement toilet…

EUGH!

9D563DD4-A842-484C-924A-33533B6FF586.jpeg

Thankfully it’s not a full clog, and I’m hoping whatever he does doesn’t totally muck up my office. Definitely going in with the F10SC after though. Was NOT on my bingo card for today!

PS - can’t find my coop cups for my pak-o, so I had to prop his chop bowl up on a coffee mug (I’m about to cram his water in there too in a similar fashion, lol).

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Ok that is brilliant with the coffee cup! Ope just sits in the food cups where they're placed in the PakOBird πŸ˜‚

~~~~~~~

Opie has started saying "mwaaaaah! *kiss*" and it's the cutest!

Cotton on the other hand has started alarm calling like 1. Keiko the cockatiel, 2. the visiting Senegal, and 3. the visiting cockatiel higher pitch beep. 😬 He will just randomly "PEEEEP! PEEEEP!" for ten minutes where he used to do a whole monologue 😱❀️

Whoops. I should've known the smartest bird in my house would be the one who decides not to break his Duolingo streaks in Cockatielese and Senegalese!

And of course nobody is copying his best ever R2D2 sounds that are my favorite thing! πŸ˜‚

If he starts copying the Nanday we might have to have a little chat πŸ˜‚

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh I LOVE those R2D2 sounds! Prior to copying everything that comes out of Jem's beak, Val had a number of R2 sounds that he'd learned quite well, and I've started playing that YouTube video to him again and he's working them back into his repertoire. I would love to hear Cotton's version, though I guess like many parrots around here it can be tricky to catch their best stuff on camera!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I want to start taking the fids places... I just need a good carrier. I think they enjoy it. They like going on walks and stuff.

I have no clue what Cossie is. Sometimes she reminds me of a parrotlet, sometimes a loverbird, sometimes a caique. Lately I look at her and think "Wow, what a splendid green cat I have."

Stormy likes his wreath. He gets fluffy and sings a lot, plus heΕ› super happy when I come home from school.

Apollo is... well Apollo. I'm very proud of her though, she's gone from a small scaredy-birb to a big chonky (she is my biggest birb) quite territorial girlie... but she's confident in herself, which is something I was worried would never happen. She's also very excited about seed and training, so much so that if I let her step up, she'll lean off my hand as much as possible in order to be as close to the millet as possible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts