When a juvenile is kept around his parents... is that problematic for healthy development?

cytherian

Dec 29, 2020
Near NYC
Parrots
Eclectus
We have 3 Eclectus birds in our home. Two are a mated pair, who produced the third. The juvenile is a male bird. He's a real beauty and has a wonderful vocabulary. But he does get easily stressed out and spooked. He knows only 2 humans, me and his owner (my housemate), and it took a full year before he was trusting of me to the point of stepping up onto my hand.

The arrangement of the living area is 3 cages, against 1 wall. From the full length window to the beginning of the kitchen is the adult male, adult female, and their juvenile son.
EJZOZ3o.jpg

Normally once weaned, the young bird "flies the coup" and goes off to establish their own flock or join another. But in this case, the young guy is staying put. He ogles the female (his mother) frequently, moving to the side of his cage nearest her when she's close (her water and kibble bowls are on that side). Sometimes he'll go to the bottom of his cage and prance around, or dart from one end of his cage to the other, wings spread and squawking like trying to make a display to attract her. When he is let out, there are times he's fixated on her and will fly to the top of her cage, or, go onto his cage and then climb partway down the side to get a better look at her. He'd just clamp on there and stare at her.
qizlMyS.jpg

Rosie takes a casual interest in him, will go to her side of the cage nearest him to look. However, when she's out? Sometimes she'll fly over to his cage and start harassing him. Instead of fleeing, Ranger will go to the top of his cage to engage her.

We cannot let all three out at the same time. Rollie and Rosie will "gang up" on Ranger. A year or so back, we could have Rollie and Ranger out together, alone, and they'd get along. Rollie will feed him. And when Rollie is out, he'll frequently go to Ranger's cage and feed him. Mostly he does it from the top, but sometimes he'll go onto the small cabinet adjacent to Ranger's cage and feed him through the side.

I think Ranger is confused. He sees Rosie and thinks "female," not "mom." And he'll seek her out. But Rosie sees him as a threat... and she WILL attack him.

While Rosie and Rollie are out in their love hut, (opposite end of the room from the cages), Ranger really can't see them, but he comes to the front of his cage on the top perch and will get a little agitated. That "short flicker" of wing motion, up and down, as if he was about to fly. He'll raise up and lower down rapidly, looking around as if in hysterics. Then suddenly he'll be calm. But he listens and pays close attention. Also, Rollie and Rosie will sometimes copulate on the play gym that's in full view of Ranger's cage and he'll watch very intently as they go about it, with some rapid agitation movements here and there.

So I have to wonder... is this healthy for him? Should the juvenile be in such close proximity to his parents? Would he be better off as the lone bird?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, the active Breeders on most all Forums have vastly reduced for a number of reasons.
As a result, responses /advise will be limited to those with little or no experience with breeding, like me.
I hope you continue to update us on your success and general breeding information.

Regarding your specific question; It is common for young Parrots to remain with their family for several years commonly helping with the newest members of the family. Depending on the species, at some point, they become interested in starting their own family and move alway.

When in a Companion environment, the young Parrot will pick-up on interactions between their parents and Humans and that commonly becomes part of the young Parrots knowledge base. As a result, it is more an issue as to whether you have a good relationship with the parents.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
FWIW, my opinion (which is strictly third party, not being a breeder or Ekkie owner) is this is not a healthy situation. I don't see how this improves over time. How old is Ranger?

OP
cytherian

cytherian

Dec 29, 2020
Near NYC
Parrots
Eclectus
Thanks for your responses, Sailboat and Wrench!

Good to know about how young Ekkies don't usually leave straight off after being able to fly and that they could remain around for a few years. I believe at this point, Ranger is now 4 years old.

Given the setup, we're thinking of introducing opaque curtains in between the cages. The idea is that we'd pull them closed at night and pull back in the morning. Also, if we're seeing a problem with Ranger paying too much attention to Rosie, we'd close off his view with the curtain in hope of pacifying him.

Just to expand a bit, we're in a 2 bedroom apartment that's rather space limited... so this is an unusual situation. The bird cages, extra perch platforms, and supplies end up taking up half the daily living space! It's a bit much.

Most Reactions

Latest posts