so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Do older amazons fail to go into there normal hormonal season?

My Bingo (age about 34/35) never showed the normal signs of mating interest that usually show up in December January time frame.

I know 34 years old is not that old for an Amazon but it's possible I did not get the truth about his age when I bought him. I was told he was only 1 year old in 1986. He had no yellow on his neck at that time. But within a 1 1/2 years of having him he went through puberty.

He seems health in all other respects normal appetite, normal droppings and normal activity.

Could his missing of the breeding season be due to the new bird (Merlin)?
I don't see why that would be but it's the only thing different this year from every other year.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup, he is likely older than you had been told by 3 to 6 years.
Last year had my 21 year old near missing last year's season. This year, he is early. only difference is the weather. Not sure what difference between the two years have been for you but worth double-checking.
Our 48 year old would have chased Julio around the house had they lived during the same time. So, your Amazon is off his game for one reason or another.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Interesting. I wonder if birds do go through a sort of menopause? My Red Bellied Parrot will be 25 this year. I’ve had him since he was a juvenile. The past couple years he seems to not have the hormonal crazies. He’ll still bite hard occasionally, but that’s just the Poi in him. He still will do the dance and regurgitate now and then, but has become much easier to handle. He isn’t showing any signs of aging, just no supercharged hormones.

Obviously not an Amazon, so not trying to hijack your thread but basically same question :).

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
For what it's worth...
The Rb turns 35 in May, and his hormone patterns haven't changed (since he became a rooster at age 3-4) as far as I can note. This means that he is especially maniacal in late summer, but at other times of the year, sometimes just gets 'in the mood' for no apparent reason and has to court me and do his thang for a few minutes. I'm sure of his age since I've had him since he was a few months old.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My BFA "Gonzo" has been in the family for 34 years and was likely between 2-5 years old when purchased. He's pretty ornery but more constant over the last few years. Can't really notice a hormonal surge.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I have almost 50 yr old YNA hen who still drives me crazy with the hormones. Also have a OWA pair that's been mating almost every day for 30 ys.

Most Reactions

Latest posts