When did you get your second bird?

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I got my first bird in Dec of 2022. Then, it was all bird world from there. Now I have six birds..... and love each and everyone of them!! They watch my every move, follow me everywhere, try to eat my dinner, even if their dinner is made, and bathroom time is our study lesson and we have discussions on things they did (as if they listen) lol! Because that is not private either!
Anyway, the introduction for me was not bad at all, they get along great! And it's three different types of birds.
When the smaller birds get to loud, my macaw tells them to be quite!! It's really funny because they actually listen to him! as a bird lover, I have no regrets!
Awww your birds sound sooo adorable! The fact that your macaw shushes your other birds is soooo funny. Itā€™s nice to hear you donā€™t regret having lots of parrots cause I was a little concerned about burnout.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
I have a lovely green cheek conure and I am completely happy with a single parrot, but I know that I will want to have more birds in the future. I was wondering how long you had your first parrot before getting a new one and if I get one years later will my bird will still bond with it?
I have gotten 1 bird after another. My next bird is a golden conure that I am getting this spring. I can't wait, they areso beautiful and sweet...

T-Bird

Jan 23, 2024
Media
Parrots
Had a Citron Crested cockatoo and have a Yellow Naped Amazon
I have a lovely green cheek conure and I am completely happy with a single parrot, but I know that I will want to have more birds in the future. I was wondering how long you had your first parrot before getting a new one and if I get one years later will my bird will still bond with it?
Our second bird was an amazon and we got her 6 months after getting our cockatoo in 1988

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
There isnā€™t really a definitive way of telling when youā€™re ready to add a new flock member, but I like to wait until the most recent bird is settled in and mostly thriving before I take in another. That said, hereā€™s my timeline:

2014: Dashā€” a rescue pionus and my first bird. Bonding with him was a really arduous process that probably couldā€™ve been helped if Iā€™d waited before adding more birds, but I really wanted more lol

2015: Ziggy and Kai, the bonded budgies. I got them about 6 months apart from each other.

2016: Nutmeg the caique.

2017: Lilla the Senegal.

2018: Jasper- Amazon #1.

2019: Cricket the parrotlet

2022: Seiji, my third budgie

2023: Snowberry the YCA

:)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I like the way you documented your birds.
I will try the same but cockatiel dates are hazy.

1984 #1 Amazon , Plumas Orang wing.
1985 #2 amazon, Bingo, yellow nape.
1989 #3 amazon, Pacho, red Lored. Rescue.
2001 or 2002 #1 cockatiel, Lucky rescued died in 2021.
2001 or 2002 #2 cockatiel, Baby .
Donā€™t know the dates of ā€¦
Cheeky, Sunny, pinky, and Lady. Sunny, pinky and Lady all passed away.

2016 was the year everything happens.
3 cockatiels were born (Angel, Mango, and Popeye).
In December I lost Plumas to I think a series of strokes.
In November we rescued Bella the African grey.
Pacho dies in or around August due to ingestion of cotton fibers from her rope perch.
December #4 amazon we adopted/ rescued Luna Mexican redhead.
#5 amazon Mexican redhead, bought Merlin from a breeder at a bird fair

Last edited:
OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I have gotten 1 bird after another. My next bird is a golden conure that I am getting this spring. I can't wait, they areso beautiful and sweet...
Omgggg!!! I love golden conures they are literal sweethearts!

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
There isnā€™t really a definitive way of telling when youā€™re ready to add a new flock member, but I like to wait until the most recent bird is settled in and mostly thriving before I take in another. That said, hereā€™s my timeline:

2014: Dashā€” a rescue pionus and my first bird. Bonding with him was a really arduous process that probably couldā€™ve been helped if Iā€™d waited before adding more birds, but I really wanted more lol

2015: Ziggy and Kai, the bonded budgies. I got them about 6 months apart from each other.

2016: Nutmeg the caique.

2017: Lilla the Senegal.

!

2019: Cricket the parrotlet

2022: Seiji, my third budgie

2023: Snowberry the YCA

:)
Wow thatā€™s one every year! I love the variety of your flock

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I like the way you documented your birds.
I will try the same but cockatiel dates are hazy.

1984 #1 Amazon , Plumas Orang wing.
1985 #2 amazon, Bingo, yellow nape.
1989 #3 amazon, Pacho, red Lored. Rescue.
2001 or 2002 #1 cockatiel, Lucky rescued died in 2021.
2001 or 2002 #2 cockatiel, Baby .
Donā€™t know the dates of ā€¦
Cheeky, Sunny, pinky, and Lady. Sunny, pinky and Lady all passed away.

2016 was the year everything happens.
3 cockatiels were born (Angel, Mango, and Popeye).
In December I lost Plumas to I think a series of strokes.
In November we rescued Bella the African grey.
Pacho dies in or around August due to ingestion of cotton fibers from her rope perch.
December #4 amazon we adopted/ rescued Merlin, Mexican redhead.
#5 amazon Mexican redhead, bought Merlin from a breeder at a bird fair
Thatā€™s very cool! Anazons are so amazing

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
Awww your birds sound sooo adorable! The fact that your macaw shushes your other birds is soooo funny. Itā€™s nice to hear you donā€™t regret having lots of parrots cause I was a little concerned about burnout.
I got my first in May, 3 months later my 2nd, 2 months after that my 3rd and then a year and a half after that one I got my last one. I have a golden conure coming this breeding season. First DNA'd male is mine. I can't wait for my golden.

Most Reactions

Latest posts