When do conures stop laying viable eggs?

crookedbird

Apr 12, 2017
PA
Parrots
Black-Capped Conure, Cinnamon Green-Cheek Conure, African Ringneck Parakeet, Canary-Winged Parakeet
I have a female GCC and a male Black-Capped Conure who are mated. I do my best to discourage mating because the female was laying 3 or 4 times a year for a while and I worry about her health. Luckily, I've gotten that to stop, but she still lays once or twice a year. Neither bird knows how to take care of an egg, but I've always wanted to hatch one. Now I want to know if I'm running out of time. They're both 6 years old now and the female is in the middle of laying a clutch right now. I saw online that they stop being fertile around that age. Is that true? How much longer do I have, if it's not already too late?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
It may be too late, but all birds will stop being fertile at different times, so you can't be sure. Best thing to do is candle the eggs (shine a bright light through them) daily, to monitor development and growth.

I really suggest taking all nesting boxes out of their cage and separating them if you truly no longer want them to mate. Make sure they get 12-14 hours of sleep a night, have a good diet (chop and pellets), and a spacious cage. Make sure the female has enough calcium (provide cuttlebone), and don't be disappointed if the eggs are infertile.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts