When my female Alex goes to the living room, she'll start calling...why?

lovehoney

Jun 26, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine parrot
My alexandrine parrot is a female who is almost four years old. Her name is Honey. Her cage is in a room where she cannot see a window. We live in an apartment, and we're at level 28. She's been living here for almost two years now. We usually bring her out to the living room and play with her. She was okay with that.

Since last October, she started paying so much attention to things outside the window (I don't know what she's looking at, I can only see the sky and some building next to us). When she's out in the living room, she stares at the window and wouldn't move. Sometimes she'll make alarming calls and fly around our living room.

Nowadays, 80% of the time, when she's in the living room, she'll look at the window and continuously make calls (those sounds she usually calls us). Some people said she might be calling 'potential' bird friends outside. What we can do is put the blinds down. But our blinds are translucent, and I feel she still can see things through them. And she sometimes still makes calls even the blinds are down.

I want her to relax in the living room and focus on spending time with us. The window is almost the only thing she's looking at when she's in the living room. She's not interested in training or playing with us if she' stares at the window. She can stare at the window and make calls for half an hour. The prolonged noise annoys my family.

Do you guys have similar experiences? Do you know why she's making these calls? What can we do to help her with this?

But overall, she's a sweet bird. We love her so much. We want her to be relaxed and happy to live with us.

Thank you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 75

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Clearly there is something upsetting out there.

I have blinds and curtains to block the sight of construction cranes outside my living room windows. Maybe that would help?

OP
L

lovehoney

Jun 26, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine parrot
Clearly there is something upsetting out there.

I have blinds and curtains to block the sight of construction cranes outside my living room windows. Maybe that would help?
Thanks HeatherG for the reply. We're planning to install a double curtain on the window to block her sight. But I think sth outside attracts her. She'll fly to the window, sit next to it, and start calling. I don't think she's afraid based on her behaviour. My family was worried that blocking her sight from seeing outside, assuming she wanted to see, would it make her sad?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think she’d just forget about it unless the birds are really loud out there. Can YOU hear any birds or something that sounds like Alexandrine contact call? (I had a Pionus who called to the Canada geese flying in fall and spring.)

If you block the window you’ll need more light in the room.

I don’t know for sure that’s what’s going on but if you are pretty sure, that’s what I did when my Quaker was terrified of the crane across the block.

Last edited:

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
Sounds to me like she is calling other Alex's - could be shes hormonal and wants to breed...Heck it could be any one of a million things! Our Alex's are mind boggling some days!! Good luck with finding the answer! OH and if you figure it out- PLEASE let us know!! That way we we start having that problem we can look to you for possible answers! BTW your girl looks absolutely Stunningly Beautiful !!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts