onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
This video just deserves its own thread. Here Ona and I are working on her latest trick. Watch to the end πŸ˜‚

I felt kinda bad for laughing at her because she was NOT happy but it was just so funny!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good work here. I would only offer 1 treat/reward when the trick is done correctly, but clearly she knows what you want done. Parrots are perfectly capable of creating their own trick, as you show! We have a similar prop I use with Salty. It has 5 rings and he gets them all on. But, I make him take them all off to finish the trick sequence. He figured out that if he takes 2 or 3 rings off in one shot, he gets his reward that much quicker. I didn't teach him that, he figured it out on his own.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Good work here. I would only offer 1 treat/reward when the trick is done correctly, but clearly she knows what you want done. Parrots are perfectly capable of creating their own trick, as you show! We have a similar prop I use with Salty. It has 5 rings and he gets them all on. But, I make him take them all off to finish the trick sequence. He figured out that if he takes 2 or 3 rings off in one shot, he gets his reward that much quicker. I didn't teach him that, he figured it out on his own.
Thanks! I normally do one treat but that was her first success after many close tries so wanted to reward her extra. For this trick I’ve started rewarding her when she gets really close to putting the ring on just so she knows she’s heading in the right direction. Often she touches the stick with the ring she just doesn’t always angle it right (as you saw from her blooper πŸ˜‚) I think she gets frustrated sometimes when she keeps trying and gets really really close but doesn’t quite get that treat so I started trying that to let her know she’s at least getting there.

Salty is so smart! I’ve seen his ring toss trick and he did so well!

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
That is absolutely hilarious! Marshmallow did something similar once. I made a cardboard ring with some paper tassels for Sprite and Marshmallow to play with as a foot toy, and they both really love it. One day, Marshmallow was playing with it, lifting it up and down, chewing on the paper, etc. But while he was chewing it, he some how stepped on it in a way that made it flip up and over his head. The ring is big enough that he could just slip out of it again, but then he stared at it in shock for a bit, before grabbing it and throwing it off the cage. πŸ˜‚

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
That is absolutely hilarious! Marshmallow did something similar once. I made a cardboard ring with some paper tassels for Sprite and Marshmallow to play with as a foot toy, and they both really love it. One day, Marshmallow was playing with it, lifting it up and down, chewing on the paper, etc. But while he was chewing it, he some how stepped on it in a way that made it flip up and over his head. The ring is big enough that he could just slip out of it again, but then he stared at it in shock for a bit, before grabbing it and throwing it off the cage. πŸ˜‚
Too funny!! We had to get the ring off Ona's head and she was NOT happy about it. I told her she did it to herself! :LOL:

Most Reactions