Where can I get a reasonably priced training stand

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
I need a training stand for my goffins cockatoo. I like the one from parrot wizard but they are prohibitively expensive. Where can I get a more reasonably priced training stand?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I like them too. But admittedly I have a prejudice against him that I can’t put my finger on and don’t want to support him. So I don’t buy them.

you can make your own using mic stands and a wooden dowel. I think when I did mine they were $50 each.

you can also use objects like the back of a chair, or a simple play stand stand of some sort.

I’d only start looking at something like HIS perches when I need two fo them for flighted recall. And that’s when I made my own.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
He'll yes, make from microphone stands, even cheaper if you check around on Craigslist for used ones. PW tacks on 25-50% or more for the privilege of buying from them.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Another great resource, disc plates used on furrowing equipment! Any weight or size! These are surprisingly available and are used by many fabricators for stands!
Old pole lamps too!

Bekki

Mar 31, 2021
Parrots
Loki - Sun Conure
Mango - Sun Conure
Ruby - Camelot Macaw
I need a training stand for my goffins cockatoo. I like the one from parrot wizard but they are prohibitively expensive. Where can I get a more reasonably priced training stand?
I've made a training stand from PVC pipe. You have to make sure you get the right (non-toxic) kind, and I've had to fill the bottom with stones to make it extra sturdy (my macaw has a lot of thrust when she decides to be somewhere else). You'll want to use vet tape or something to give texture if you use PVC as the "top" perching area, although I've had success with getting untreated wood that has been on a lathe that fits into the PVC connector - Ruby trusts wood more than pipe - although she is becoming more comfortable with pipe. I'm at work right now, but if you are interested I can grab some pics when I get home. I also have had success with contacting a local "Mom and Pop" Machine Shop and they made me a nice heavy duty perch from bird safe materials that was STILL cheaper than those I've seen online. I just sent them the specs I found online from bird tricks and they fabbed it up for me. As mentioned in other posts, I've also used the back of a kitchen chair, and even a longer perch that I connected to the outside of her cage. I hope that helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts