Which cage for 2 ekkies?

ginaekkie

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus male and female
we are looking for a new cage for our pair that has a divider to give the female especially some of her own space without the male stealing all the toys and food.

Which of these 2 cages would you go with? One is taller/deeper the other is slightly wider/not as deep. Both have the internal removal partition so we they have separate living spaces. Hopefully helps her stress and barbering.

Option 1 Jolanda
79DB0DB8-29A2-4C1E-9D95-6C9B011A93A6.png

Dimensions excluding collecting edge : 122 wide x 90 deep x 197 cm tall

Option 2 keddoc duplex

8CA9CC02-6405-4BBF-828C-C004C48CD805.png

140cm wide x depth: 60cm x Height incl. wheels: 183cm

thanks all!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
My guys both have cages the size of the first one there. Lots of space which they love, but I have one major issue with them, and in retrospect, I'd probably have chosen something else. The problem is, at 36" deep (90cm) they won't fit through any of my doors, so in an emergency, I can't wheel them out of the house. I keep their travel cages next to them so I'm prepared, but that takes time that I might not have. Fingers crossed that I never have to be in that situation, but it's always a concern. Just food for thought.

OP
G

ginaekkie

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus male and female
Thanks for responding. Are both options ok size wise for them to sleep each in half? They are out much of the day but I want to use the partition in the cage to separate them.

We are on the second floor so wheeling through doors isn’t much of a worry so depth is ok for us on the deeper (but less wise) one.

Which would be most appropriate if they got half the cage only ? It are both fine?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Of those two, I'd probably go for the wider second one. Vertical space is so often wasted, and wider gives a little more room to stretch their wings. Other option perhaps might be two separate cages next to each other? Some might have a bit of flexibility to assemble so feeder doors are on opposite sides. Depends on how they're constructed though.

OP
G

ginaekkie

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus male and female
New cage is in! We ended up with an even bigger one and they each have their own side now with the middle separator It’s a Montana brand and so amazing!

Attachments

• 53DE33EE-52EC-476B-948E-F8118FA23BAE.jpeg
    53DE33EE-52EC-476B-948E-F8118FA23BAE.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 7DF63123-53A1-427A-B388-FEEC729A4402.jpeg
    7DF63123-53A1-427A-B388-FEEC729A4402.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 84

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
wow! Congratulations on your fabulous cage!

How do the ekkies like?

I love the flat top, so great for setting up with food bowls and fun stuff. You can get a sheet of acrylic cut to size and lay across the top. Then you can set out stuff have them use that space and not have waste fall down I to the cage

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
New cage is in! We ended up with an even bigger one and they each have their own side now with the middle separator It’s a Montana brand and so amazing!
Sooo big! I hope the birdies enjoy their new cage!

OP
G

ginaekkie

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus male and female
They LOVE the cage so far! And the balconies that open up are perfect for them going in and out. Next to sort out how to keep the wrong bird sneaking in the others balcony to see if he/she has better food in their bowl :p

The top we want to next set up with a big java tree and toys - maybe even hang some hooks for some near the celeing. Only negative so far is the young (I guess still puberty?) 3 yr old from claiming everything outside the cage as HIS including the entire top of the cage. Urgh!

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
Luna- White Bellied Caique
They LOVE the cage so far! And the balconies that open up are perfect for them going in and out. Next to sort out how to keep the wrong bird sneaking in the others balcony to see if he/she has better food in their bowl :p

The top we want to next set up with a big java tree and toys - maybe even hang some hooks for some near the celeing. Only negative so far is the young (I guess still puberty?) 3 yr old from claiming everything outside the cage as HIS including the entire top of the cage. Urgh!
Amazing! I love this cage and have been looking for something like it in the US but they don’t make it with smaller bar spacing here. Any ideas how to get a Montana Cage here???

Most Reactions

Latest posts