Which cage?

BridgetsFlame

Nov 24, 2015
Media
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Parrots
2 Sun Conures: Atticus (Hatched 7/11/10) and Rea (Hatched 27/10/15)
Just wondering what your opinion is? These are the two cages I'm looking at, one is smaller but has 5/8" bar spacing, the other is larger but has 1" bar spacing. Both are actually the same brand as I can buy in pet stores, this is just direct from the wholesaler... This is for a sun conure.

The overall interior size of this one is 24" x 24" x 36" bar spacing is 5/8" (I've seen it and measured it inshore)
Quality Parrot Aviary Bird Cage Perch Budgie Play TOP ON Wheels 165cm White A11 | eBay

The overall interior size of this one is 24" x 36" x 36", bar spacing is 1"
X Large Parrot Aviary Bird Cage Perch Roof Budgie ON Wheels 183cm White A23 | eBay

I can't decide which one to get, the smaller spacing is safer but the cage is a heck of a lot smaller...

Please don't send me links to other cages, I am in very rural Australia and the options are sparse at best.

Last edited:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
What is the return policy on the cages? I always recommend going bigger, and there is a possibility you could get away with 1" bar spacing for a sun conure depending on their behaviour. Some birds are incredibly inclined to stick their beaks where they shouldn't go, and it could result in the bird's head becoming stuck. Others couldn't care less and are fine.

Personally I don't feel comfortable having my IRN in a cage with 1" spacing, but he's a trouble maker and will undo latches if I leave them in a vulnerable position. His head is pretty much the same size as a sun conure. So it really is at your discretion and on what you think would be best. If the bird will have many play areas and be out of the cage most of the day, a smaller cage is not a huge concern. But if you're expecting a busier schedule and are not 100% convinced you can always have the bird out, then perhaps seeing how your conure handles a 1" spacing cage is worth trying. Ideally if it doesn't work you can return it and swap it for the other cage.

OP
B

BridgetsFlame

Nov 24, 2015
Media
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Parrots
2 Sun Conures: Atticus (Hatched 7/11/10) and Rea (Hatched 27/10/15)
No return unfortunately, it would cost more to ship the cage back then I would get as a refund. I can however sell them on for at least half the purchase price if not more.

My boy likes to stick his beak through bars (he's in a 20mm bar spacing, which is erm.... 4/5", or 5/6"? or 3/4" round about there anyway) but no clue on the new girl, she's too young to really show that sort of behaviour yet. She's still at the breeders and will be for another month. Atti can only get a little bit of his beak through the bars even when he sticks it through, he wouldn't be able to bite anyone outside the cage for example. Atti can undo latches with his feet, so to stop him letting himself out without additional clips would require bar spacing too small for curious feet to extend from. I just use dog clips to hold it all shut.

I swear I decide on a cage, go to buy it and then second guess myself.

10:1 I'll buy a cage, new girl will bond with Atti and move in with him and it will sit unused for the next ten years.

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
1" bar spacing is definitely too wide for your Sun's safety.

Check this out (I have several HQ cages and LOVE them!):
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/BirdsComfort-Flight-Bird-Cage-32x21/dp/B00KFEA2MM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1451078504&sr=8-10&keywords=hq+flight+cage+1%2F2+bar+spacing"]Amazon.com : BirdsComfort HQ Flight Bird Cage 32x21 - Brass : Pet Supplies[/ame]

ChrisWink

Sep 7, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo ~ TAG DNA male

Jasper ~ U2 DNA male
Be very careful if you buy one on eBay! Some of them are made in China and the metal is unsafe unfortunately saving a few dollars Via eBay can cause harm to your FIDS

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I don't have a sunny. but was considering one before I got Dexter. The local parrot store, where I was shopping for a cage and ready to purchase, recommended against a very nice $$ cage with a 1" bar spacing, telling me the spacing was too big for a sun conure's safety. He opted to sell me a smaller, less expensive cage, in the interest of safety - I take that as a sign that the 1" is risky at best. Can you find something available to your location that is larger with closer bars?

Most Reactions

Latest posts