Which is better: Ringneck or Rosella ?

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
I found on Craigslist two different breeders selling 3 month old ringneck parrots and another breeder selling 3 month old rosella parrots. They both have the same price of $400. Which is a better pet if my goal is to have it perch on my shoulder? I am afraid the ringneck might be too nippy on pulling the hairs from the back of my neck, and I read stories of them being hormonal. Would a rosella be better for me?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
From my understanding Rosellas are much more skittish than IRNs so you might have to do a good bit more hand training there depending on how they were raised.

OP
S

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
From my understanding Rosellas are much more skittish than IRNs so you might have to do a good bit more hand training there depending on how they were raised.
Thanks!

I really dont know which to get since they are the same price and also they are the same medium sized parrots. Its just the ringneck has a larger beak unlike the rosellas. Yes, I have heard that rosellas are more timid and better for an aviary. But there are YouTube videos of tame rosellas.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
From what I've heard of Rosellas they remind me a lot of cockatiels and I am very partial to cockatiels so personally I would go for the rosella

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks!

I really dont know which to get since they are the same price and also they are the same medium sized parrots. Its just the ringneck has a larger beak unlike the rosellas. Yes, I have heard that rosellas are more timid and better for an aviary. But there are YouTube videos of tame rosellas.

Birds aren't always like the YouTube birds. Even indian ringnecks can be skittish. It all depends on personality.

Remember that they may have completely different care, so even if they cost the same, their care may not. I reccomend doing research on both species. There is a lot of info here. I can find some info and share them here or via PM(private messaging).

You should also check if these breeders are ethical. They may be the same price, but one is not ethical, or worse, both are not ethical.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Remember that parrots are individuals and while a given species may be noted for "being skittish" doesn't mean that all are. And the reverse is true too, a species that is noted for being "cuddly" may have individuals who absolutely hate that.

Also, a lot depends on the amount and quality of the time invested in a given parrot. Ringnecks in example require almost daily 1 on 1 time and a lot of it, to keep them tame. But an individual ringneck may be an outlier and not need that much.

Most Reactions

Latest posts