Which parrot comparison chart do you think is more accurate?

CharliePickles

Feb 2, 2015
1. Easy Pet Bird and Parrot Characteristics Comparison Chart

2. Parrot Species Comparison Chart ?.Compare The Most Popular Parrot Species!

One of them claims that some species of Amazons, and African Greys, vocalize less than lovebirds, cockatiels, or Quakers. That there's some species of Amazons that are suited to an apartment. Hogwash or is there any sort of reasoning and truth behind their thought?

I've read tons on red-lored amazons, and it seems that nearly every source is unanimous on their loud and frequent vocalization. (Of course, wikipedia and parrot guide sites aren't entirely too reliable either.)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
You are asking a LOT of comparison questions, so clearly you are doing your research before getting a bird. Have you been able to go and actually meet any of these birds in person? I suggest meeting a sexually mature pet of the species you are researching, letting them bite you, and hearing them scream full volume. Ok ok, MAYBE not the biting part - maybe. There are a lot of generalizations out there that you can look up and quote, but ultimately MEETING them is what really makes the difference. Macaws, Greys, Amazons, and Cockatoos used to ALL be on my "dream bird" list, but now that I have interacted with many of them, NONE of them are based on my interaction with them. I still adore them all, but I am pretty convinced now that my "dream bird" is a male Eclectus. However, though I have met and interacted with several (even had one live with me for a month) I have never met one who is sexually mature, and I will not be buying one until I do that. I have met so many people recently who "researched" and picked out the "perfect bird" and that bird does not really fit their lifestyle. Best of luck to you, but I really think you need to meet some birds, preferably in people's houses and not just in stores or at the breeder.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
You are asking a LOT of comparison questions, so clearly you are doing your research before getting a bird. Have you been able to go and actually meet any of these birds in person? I suggest meeting a sexually mature pet of the species you are researching, letting them bite you, and hearing them scream full volume. Ok ok, MAYBE not the biting part - maybe. There are a lot of generalizations out there that you can look up and quote, but ultimately MEETING them is what really makes the difference. Macaws, Greys, Amazons, and Cockatoos used to ALL be on my "dream bird" list, but now that I have interacted with many of them, NONE of them are based on my interaction with them. I still adore them all, but I am pretty convinced now that my "dream bird" is a male Eclectus. However, though I have met and interacted with several (even had one live with me for a month) I have never met one who is sexually mature, and I will not be buying one until I do that. I have met so many people recently who "researched" and picked out the "perfect bird" and that bird does not really fit their lifestyle. Best of luck to you, but I really think you need to meet some birds, preferably in people's houses and not just in stores or at the breeder.

Hi Charlie,

As silver sage mentioned, you might want to view birds that people have to get the full perspective. She mentioned one thing that in my personal opinion is a must do...get bitten, some people react differently, and disown the parrot right away once they bite. Truth is there is no such thing as a parrot that won't bite....that species has not yet been discovered. They can however be taught by it's owner not to bite or do it gently. Most parrots can be taught that.

In my state we have bird communities, bird groups and bird shows and bird lover get togethers at restaurant for lunch. ( without the bird of course and share stories get to know people, and share ideas, and so forth. Many communities advertise locally, on web, even craigs list. Good way to meet other bird owners...This is not the only site. Our local bird community is in process of setting up their web site which will be in operation in march. Will let forum here know of the state web site.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
1. Easy Pet Bird and Parrot Characteristics Comparison Chart

2. Parrot Species Comparison Chart ?.Compare The Most Popular Parrot Species!

One of them claims that some species of Amazons, and African Greys, vocalize less than lovebirds, cockatiels, or Quakers. That there's some species of Amazons that are suited to an apartment. Hogwash or is there any sort of reasoning and truth behind their thought?

I've read tons on red-lored amazons, and it seems that nearly every source is unanimous on their loud and frequent vocalization. (Of course, wikipedia and parrot guide sites aren't entirely too reliable either.)

I had a red lored amazon, a yellow naped amazon, three conures, and a red fronted macaw in an apartment... never got a noise complaint!

My red lored doesn't vocalize often. Her distress calls, when she gets going, make her one of my louder birds. (The macaws are significantly louder still.)

She doesn't scream very often. She's actually one of my quietest birds. In fact both my zons are on the quiet side... (RLA, LCA)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And if it's on the chart, then it must be true, right?!

Sort of like, if it's on TV, or posted on the internet... it must be accurate information!

Yeah, well, the charts are based on what they have the capacity to do, not what they WILL do when properly trained and cared for... and their attention needs are met.

Parrots generally become screamers for a reason. It's usually either "spoiled bird syndrome" (i.e. their every whim gets catered to when they scream so they scream all the time), or neglect (i.e. my attention needs are not being met.)

Amazons are more independent than most. They self entertain well. They don't require constant interaction and handling. But ALL birds require some interaction and handling... daily.

For all we know the person who wrote this chart doesn't even keep parrots...

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I've read tons on red-lored amazons, and it seems that nearly every source is unanimous on their loud and frequent vocalization.

Hold on, you just said in a different post that you are picking one up, and asked for confirmation that she will be QUIET... also, you mentioned them vocalizing less than say a cockatiel or love bird, but have you HEARD the difference in their screams?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I can count the number of time Sally screams in a day on ONE FINGER...

And that would be when my car pulls into the driveway coming home from work.

UNLESS someone or something is upsetting her. The amazon alarm call/distress call is exactly that. A noise they make to warn of danger, or notify someone else in the flock that there is a "situation..." that needs their immediate attention. They will keep that up until the "situation" is resolved.

And THAT ONE is constant and deafening...

If you have a chaotic house with a lot of "situations" occurring you will hear it more frequently, than if you have a house that is quiet and calm. On some levels it really does come down to that. They vocalize for a reason...

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
When finding out how many birds I live with, people almost always ask me how I can stand the noise, but the truth is my house is pretty quiet unless I feed breakfast late or a cat walks into my yard. However that has a lot to do with me meeting their physical, mental, and emotional needs. I am concerned that this person with seemingly no experience appears to expect his new pet to behave in some cookie cutter fashion automatically, but cannot even decide on what cookie cutter shape he expects her to be.

Most Reactions