Which seeds?

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
What are your Cockatiel's favorite seeds? All I've tried Bebe on is sesame seeds and he doesn't seem interested. They're very small though, so it's hard to tell if he's eating them.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
My guys really love Millet and Oats. Sunflowers, not so much. safflower they don't mind, but it's not their favorite :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The Tiel snobs should be along soon.
Although it is something that I normally do not recommend but, I would recommend that you stop by the local Pet Box Store that Jim visited and check what they recall him buying in the past! That should get you a starting place with something that BB will eat and from there you can work on upgrading if you need.
The most important thing is keeping them eating. Perfection is something that can come with time!
They will remember Amy, so take your camera phone to help them.
Cheers, Good Friend!!

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
The Tiel snobs should be along soon.
Although it is something that I normally do not recommend but, I would recommend that you stop by the local Pet Box Store that Jim visited and check what they recall him buying in the past! That should get you a starting place with something that BB will eat and from there you can work on upgrading if you need.
The most important thing is keeping them eating. Perfection is something that can come with time!
They will remember Amy, so take your camera phone to help them.
Cheers, Good Friend!!
Jim never fed either of them seeds. Amy is overweight and seeds are fattening. He stopped feeding him peanuts for the same reason. Amy does however eat chop and fruits. Beebs won't. After reading the "How can I get my bird to eat veggies" thread, I'm looking for something that I can mix with chop to get him interested. Only thing he's guaranteed to eat is millet. I've read that a 'Tiel should have seeds in their diet, so... I'm looking for something he might like.

And Amy's not ready to parade around in public with his Uncle David ;)

Cheers to you..

Dave

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My Pipp LOVES spray millet(foxtail millet), so does the rest of the flock. They prefer it above all seed, though they like a large variety of seed.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is important to remember that the Word 'Seed 'has many meanings!!
When one states a 'None Seed ' diet, that more commonly, really meaning, should be a Zero Sunflower Seed and Zero Peanuts, especially for Amazons.

There are a ton of excellent Seeds, Grains, Pastas and Nuts (in limited amounts) that are healthy for Parrots! A quality mix that is like what would normally be found in their Native Range near assures a healthy base diet that one can build-on. A bit of Web Searching can help define what common plants grow in their Natural Range.

Great hearing from you Good Friend!!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I don't have a cockteils but just let you know
tofu loves flax seeds and canary seeds those are her fav.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Millet is my bird's favorite to mix in with things I want him to try.

He also gets a blend that's meant for cockatiels - it has a lot of small different seeds and then some bigger safflower seeds.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Many a fid love walnuts! Extremely good for us humans too! You can get fresh, reasonably priced bags at Costco! I know you have them in your area.
You can crush them and mix into the chop!

Most Reactions