Whistling too close?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I had my Sun Conure on my shoulder because she is normally good when on my shoulder. I started to whistle a song to her and she bit my cheek.

Then I had her on my hand and whistled a song for her. She was fine but when I moved too close she almost bit my face again but got my finger instead.

I am wondering if perhaps she doesn't like to be too close to me when I am whistling. Does the sound get too loud for her?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I was just surprised but I have always whistled without any problems. Do they have sensitive hearing.

She is 19 by the way.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I had my Sun Conure on my shoulder because she is normally good when on my shoulder. I started to whistle a song to her and she bit my cheek.

Then I had her on my hand and whistled a song for her. She was fine but when I moved too close she almost bit my face again but got my finger instead.

I am wondering if perhaps she doesn't like to be too close to me when I am whistling. Does the sound get too loud for her?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I was just surprised but I have always whistled without any problems. Do they have sensitive hearing.

She is 19 by the way.
She could be irritated by the sound. I know my tiels don’t appreciate when I’m too close and will shake their heads if I’m whistling.
If it bothers her I would try to keep my distance while whistling or maybe whistle very softly.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Thanks, guys. Well here is what I learned.

Shoulder time is only welcome when it's chill time. If there are others around and we are all interacting with the bird, no shoulder time as she may get over stimulated.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thanks, guys. Well here is what I learned.

Shoulder time is only welcome when it's chill time. If there are others around and we are all interacting with the bird, no shoulder time as she may get over stimulated.
This sounds like a good idea. Great way to avoid someone’s face getting bitten if she gets too excited while on their shoulder!

Most Reactions