San Juan Cosala, MX
Parrots
Mealy Amazon - George
Double Yellowhead - Fred
Maximilian's Pionus - Pancho
Blue Ringneck - Kramer
Military Macaw - Abulardo
Red-Lored Amazon - Lucy
Quick question; Are these guys visually sexable at fledging or do have to wait for their first mount? I’ve looked all over the web and can’t find an answer.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Amazons as a family (Amazona species) require DNA Sex Testing!
Yes, there are some possible indicators, but they are little more that a 50/50 guess.

Remember that Amazons, yes all of them, are designated as endangered and fall under the guidelines of CITES regulations, which require that the seller provide a detailed Hatch Certificate along with a Bill of Sale. The Hatch Certificate should have the Species of both parents, the Hatch Date, Name and Contact information of the Breeder and any other sellers between the Breeder and you. NOTE: Most Breeders provide a DNA Sex Test document! Important: You want the original document, not a copy!!!

Assure that your baby is 'fully' weaned and has been on solid food for at least two weeks!!!

NOTE: Most seller warrantees require that you have your Amazon Vet Checked within two weeks of taking your Parrot home. IMHO, take your Parrot directly to your Avian Professional the same day you get your Amazon! Also, take your document set (as defined above) to your Avian Professional so that they can copy it and add it to your Babies Medical File!

Last edited:
OP
S

smwboxer

May 31, 2020
San Juan Cosala, MX
Parrots
Mealy Amazon - George
Double Yellowhead - Fred
Maximilian's Pionus - Pancho
Blue Ringneck - Kramer
Military Macaw - Abulardo
Red-Lored Amazon - Lucy
White fronts are visually sexable. The males sport red “shoulders”, the females do not. I have hand rearing experience. Also, I live in Mexico so the procedures for possessing a parrot are different.

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
The red shoulder patch can be unreliable at times, a local breeder mate of mine has males with the shoulder patches non-existent, so best off to DNA sex and then you can be almost guaranteed of sexes

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome to the forum, glad you joined and hope you stick around a d share your experience with others.
Sorry no idea with your quest for visual sexing

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Quick question; Are these guys visually sexable at fledging or do have to wait for their first mount? I’ve looked all over the web and can’t find an answer.

Per your original question (see above), you stated at fledging...

As stated by my good friend above, and with a quick check of my nominate judges book, the red feathers are not an assured statement of the sex of the White-fronted Amazon.

Even if Mexico is not currently following CITES classifications, if you wish to travel with your Amazon, at some point in the future, you will need that documentation. Obtaining it now will be far easier than in the future.

Welcome to Parrot Forums! You clearly have much to offer, I join the others in hoping you stick around and join in.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. White front Amazons, amoung my favorites, but I too would be a bit weedy on relying on that to determine the sex. I hope you do share your experience with the members here.

Most Reactions

Latest posts