Who else works from home?

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Gaah, it's so lonely some days, even with more critters than some zoos have to look after. What are ya'll up to t'day? I'd love some conversation. :)

Today I am mostly doing things for the critters. I got a little behind since I had the flu or something else frigging awful this past week. So the rats haven't had a fresh cooked meal all week, most everyone has had to make do with commercially prepared food while I convalesced. :( So I'm making up a huge batch of the stuff for them, thawing out meats and organs for the carnivores, and the herbivores will get various.... plants. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay? (how exciting)

Pluuuus everyone is getting a solid clean of their houses, and I have some baby rat cuddling to catch up on. Gosh, my life is so hard some days.... ;)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I wish! I'm hoping to hold my company over a barrel and let me do that for the last couple of years before I retire.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I do :) today is more of a “House day” where I’m doing mostly house work instead of business work, but I spend quite a bit of time on the phone. The fun part is that my birds and my son don’t know that I’m not just home to spend time with them. I love it :)

What do you do? And who do you have in your zoo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I don't have a steady job, but I freelance, so I do get to work from home when there is work to be done!

Besides regular cleaning, loading up the dehydrator and the dishwasher, laundry and various other things that seem to pile up during the week. Thinking of starting a small business for more steady income, but thinking about it makes me tired!

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I do most of the housework, have money in the market, breed various critters, and am a research biologist(so do occasionally have to go in to the lab). My companion and I are about to buy a property out in the country across the country and start a homestead/research facility/bird farm type deal. Hopefully in the spring.

Currently I look after about a bajillion and a half very spoiled and pampered rats, far too dang many guinea pigs, 4 rabbits I'm trying to find homes for(got them to try breeding meat rabbits but the first litter had to be bottle fed and I fell in love with the babies and lost my nerve. These are the ones I have left still needing homes, haha), 2 female boa constrictors, an african bullfrog male, the birbos, a puppo, catto, thouuuuusands of bugs of various types(currently geeking out with milipedes, I got two adults about 6 months ago and now have soooo many adorable little baby 'pedes to look after), a few lizards, and a pair of color morph chinchillas(ebonies, female is light ebony, male is extra extra dark like jet black), gee what else... That might be it? Many of the critters are in planted naturalistic enclosures with cleaner crew bugs, etc, so their cages are also sort of pets. sort of. They require maintenance and lights and water and misting and such and are cool to look at even when the resident is hiding, since thats when the cleaner bugs come out to work usually. ..... I'm a biologist, ok, leme 'lone, I like bugs. ._. lol

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Lol I feel like visiting you would be my version of an amusement park!

donchase

Feb 13, 2018
I don't like the common concept of the job.....spending mornings in a traffic jam on the way to the office...aghhhh. That's why I started freelancing 2 years ago. First three months were very challenging for adapting to the new "free" schedule. But as soon as I get used to, I enjoyed working with different projects, writing reviews and blogposts. That's the whole different experience, and I'm glad I decided once to try.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Lol I feel like visiting you would be my version of an amusement park!

Hah! This isn't a vacation spot; I'd put you to work! I put all people who visit to work! Though, the "work" usually is socializing baby animals so really isn't too bad. :) Well, as long as you aren't afraid of these little guys:

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
So cuuute!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Today I’m sneaking around doing my work while the baby FINALLY naps lol.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Aww nice. I've been working my butt off all day doing a real solid deep clean and declutter while also getting rid of rhe huge big guinea pig cage (8'×4') since the cat has taken to hopping in from the top and "hunting" the poor terrified pigs. Sadly, until we move they now will have to live in large traditional guinea pig cages (with lids) for safety. It was also only a matter of time till the cat tried to use their bedding as a litter box and I wanted to prevent that before she learned any bad habits.

Ordered a bulk trash pick up from the city for tomorrow so am doing serious cleaning so to take full advantage. Feel like my lungs are caked in an inch of dust.. coughing like I'm a 30 year smoker over here lol

From phone

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Have you considered construction masks? I had decided to get them for the deep cleans but then I stopped raising cockatiels and moved into a house with hard floors. I don’t want a doctor telling me in 10 years that my birds are killing me.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Have you considered construction masks? I had decided to get them for the deep cleans but then I stopped raising cockatiels and moved into a house with hard floors. I don’t want a doctor telling me in 10 years that my birds are killing me.

Those masks are a godsend, lol. With two greys, a few cockatiels and all the others, it makes things so much easier.

Also cheaper than wearing my Vog Mask that I use when I go outside!

Most Reactions