Who would have thought owning a parrort would actually help me in grooming?

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Today i had a new dog in the salon who has been banned from mumtiple salons for aggressive behavior.

So i thought id try out some techniques i use on albie , namely ,ignoring the bad behaviour and rewarding/praising good behavior with a much lighter hand in handling him(i am normally gentle but firm) , my reasoning is we use a light hand with parrots ,not forcing them or man handling them to make them do something and it worked !

While he was still aggressive, he was easier to mange than i thought he would ,the best bit ? He snuggled uo to me for a cuddle after his groom.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
It really is. I get a huge amount of job satisfaction working with challenging dogs like this .and i feel so proud when we accomplish the groom both uninjured and not stressed .

Heres a photo of him. Hes not perfect, but hes clean ,matt free and complete.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Super cute dog!

Willow has been picking at my face and so he is NOT helping with my grooming. (That’s what I thought you meant.) Besides the poops on my shoulder. And Jasper keeps picking my nose.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Clearly, I know nothing about a proper wash and cut for a Poodle as he looks great to me!
Happy that Parrot Care methods extends beyond Avians!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow just got his beak trimmed (he gets a snaggle tooth) and I may shine his beak up with coconut oil.

My elderly birds enjoyed a coconut oil foot rub, too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts