Whole Veggies vs. Chop

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Miles, Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
Hey guys! So I've noticed some people sometimes feed their parrots large chunks of veggies rather than chop (Laurasea specifically) . It's a lot of work to make chop (honestly Miles hasn't had chop in the last few days cuz the last batch went bad), so I'm wondering how it would be if I fed him large chunks of two or three different veggies instead. Is that sufficient as long as he still gets his pellets and I keep variety in the veggies I give him?

*pics for bonus cuteness*
20220413_113008.jpg
20220420_115310.jpg
20220420_115045.jpg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hey guys! So I've noticed some people sometimes feed their parrots large chunks of veggies rather than chop (Laurasea specifically) . It's a lot of work to make chop (honestly Miles hasn't had chop in the last few days cuz the last batch went bad), so I'm wondering how it would be if I fed him large chunks of two or three different veggies instead. Is that sufficient as long as he still gets his pellets and I keep variety in the veggies I give him?

*pics for bonus cuteness*View attachment 38979View attachment 38978View attachment 38980
I recommend minimum 4-6 veggies in a meal, but if you use different veggies each meal, it should be fine :)

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
I feed chop for breakfast, then for while she is hanging out in her cage while I’m busy in the shop for the morning I give her a dish of veggie chunks. Today she had 1/2 Brussels sprout, 2 green beans, a chunk of broccoli stem plus a few little flowerets, same situation with cauliflower, some pea shoots, and I clipped a cabbage leaf to the inside of the cage. She has a great time destroying and shredding and Im quite sure she even eats some🤣. I also usually feed her lots of chili peppers but ran out yesterday. I always put 2-3 of the dried small red chilies in her seed/pellets but for fresh she loves Habenero, Serrano, and those hot little Thai chilis. Let’s just say she frequently gives flaming hot kisses!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes I'm not a big chop fan. They got beaks they like to chew and destroy stuff. Even the budgies have no trouble with big veggies chunks. And mine like to pick up and hold and eat that way.

I don't know if there us a magic number of veggies to feed, but I probably do offer 6 different kinds a day and rotate with what I have. If I buy a bag if green beans then we all eat those till gone .

One cheat us to buy tge shreded mix for people in the bags..tge zucchini, carrots, Brussel sprouts, broccoli those mixes

I do mince or chop stuff up once I while but just serve fresh. Nothing wrong with chop if that's working for you and the birds!

Penny is the only one I hsve that likes stuff smaller. She's a rare right footed parrot and the leg band on the right foot..msybe that bothers her? And she is older...always sits hunched if you've noticed. Makes me sad cuz when I found her she was in a cage she could not stand up in was soooo small ...

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Anything involving a conure eating veggies I just automatically read. I can't get my conure to eat veggies. She screams bloody murder if I don't feed her her zupreem nut flavored pellets. She doesn't stop screaming either. It makes me feel awful when she is so scared of her food bowl because I put something strange in it.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I chop my “chop” really coarse (chunks basically) and then I freeze it like that, so I have the option to defrost the big chunks and serve as is or run through the food processor and get something finer.

I also keep whole small veg (broccoli florets, peppers, baby carrots etc) on hand in the fridge to mix in as well as a grain or pasta (quinoa, cooked rice, veggie noodles etc).

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
i just made fresh chop today, but made it a much coarser ‘grind’ that she seemed to really like. I will feed that every morning, as well as offer veggi chunks. Just seems to be something that is enjoyed. Not exactly sure how ugh she cut ally eats, but she certainly shreds it, so if. Nothing else its fun for her!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts