why are my Greys not laying fertile eggs?

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
I have two African Grey Parrots owned by my grandmother, she has been trying and trying to get a good egg from them for more than 20 years.
But they have yet to lay a fertile egg and we do not know why they have had trouble for all these years. If anyone knows what the case might be please let me know.
We have talked to people that have been breeding birds for the longest time and they said for us t give something to our male because it is him not doing his job.
We have had a few eggs, Maybe two and sometimes three a year. But they have never been fertile according to my grandmother. We even thought maybe we are wrong so a couple of weeks ago we called the people that breed a lot of birds and asked them to come check some eggs we had got. When they got to my home they checked them and said that they were no good(ofc).

If anyone knows what is going on or why they will not lay a fertile egg, please let me know.🤔😬

This is my male AG.
IMG_0608 (1).jpg

OP
Mya the ringneck

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
if there is anything i can give him in order for him to fertilize the eggs please inform me, or if there is something i need to do

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
That's sad to hear, I wish I had some suggestions but I don't.

I've always been amazed and perplexed at how birds have sex. I used to think it was some kind of magic trick cos they both just have a hole known as the cloaca and i couldn't find any description of it either. So I watched very closely and finally figured out the trick.
The male gets on her back, she has to twist her tail 90 degrees one way and he has to twist his tail 90 degrees the other way. Only then will they have a chance to line up their cloacas well enough for the male to pass his sperm to the female, and all without looking cos their eyes can't see what's going on down there.
The act only takes a second for little agile birds but it can take some time to get balanced and line up for large birds.
How do they know how to do this. They don't get taught, it appears to be instinctive bird mating wisdom 🙂

OP
Mya the ringneck

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
That's sad to hear, I wish I had some suggestions but I don't.

I've always been amazed and perplexed at how birds have sex. I used to think it was some kind of magic trick cos they both just have a hole known as the cloaca and i couldn't find any description of it either. So I watched very closely and finally figured out the trick.
The male gets on her back, she has to twist her tail 90 degrees one way and he has to twist his tail 90 degrees the other way. Only then will they have a chance to line up their cloacas well enough for the male to pass his sperm to the female, and all without looking cos their eyes can't see what's going on down there.
The act only takes a second for little agile birds but it can take some time to get balanced and line up for large birds.
How do they know how to do this. They don't get taught, it appears to be instinctive bird mating wisdom 🙂
well thanks for the info on how birds reproduce 😂. there are not a whole lot of people that breed African Greys anyway i was just hoping there may be someone on the forum.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
well thanks for the info on how birds reproduce 😂. there are not a whole lot of people that breed African Greys anyway i was just hoping there may be someone on the forum.
Have you ever spotted them mating before?

I have no specific info for African greys but in general birds mate when there is an abundance of food and when there are long daylight hours.

You might not find much info on the net on how to breed African greys but you should be able to find some info on parrot breeding in general

OP
Mya the ringneck

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Have you ever spotted them mating before?

I have no specific info for African greys but in general birds mate when there is an abundance of food and when there are long daylight hours.

You might not find much info on the net on how to breed African greys but you should be able to find some info on parrot breeding in general
they have a lay box built onto the cage so when they both go in there i cannot see them if they are breeding. They have food abundant to them, available 24/7

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
they have a lay box built onto the cage so when they both go in there i cannot see them if they are breeding. They have food abundant to them, available 24/7
Ok but the box is where she lays her eggs and raises the chicks, the act of mating, where the male gets on her back, happens out of the box, on a perch where they can spread their wings for balance

OP
Mya the ringneck

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Ok but the box is where she lays her eggs and raises the chicks, the act of mating, where the male gets on her back, happens out of the box, on a perch where they can spread their wings for balance
oh well then i do not guess i have exactly seen them breed then.

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Do they come out of their cage a lot? Are they flighted? What food do you feed them?

OP
Mya the ringneck

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Do they come out of their cage a lot? Are they flighted? What food do you feed them?
they do not come out very often because they are not tamed out. Their wings have not been cut in over 20 years, and they get a seed mixture along with a bunch of fruit and veggies

Most Reactions