Why did my Pineapple Green Cheek Conure die?

PotatoElf7

Nov 22, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure and a regular Green Cheek Conure
This is my first thread that I’m posting since my conure recently died today and i just need answers as to why my bird might have died. It was a normal night until i looked in the bird cage and i saw my regular green cheek conure on the perch but my pineapple wasn’t so i try looking for him in his hut and he wasn’t there but i see some color in the floor and he is lying on his back with his feet up eyes barely open and his beak overlapping in a weird way. (keep in mind i don’t know the gender as i never did a gender test my family and i just like to say he’s a boy and we’ve never took him to a veterinarian). I him on my counter and attempt to do cpr although i know it’s not going to work and obviously he doesn’t wake up. The only thing that was different about the environment was that my grandparents were here and they’ve only been here for a day so far and he was perfectly fine before we’ve had him for four years and we’ve had the same cage ever since we got him and it’s been four years since we got the pineapple and it’s been two years since we got our regular green cheek conure. There were also no visible wounds on his body please let me now if anybody has any idea as to what happened.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Unfortunately, it's impossible to know without a full and thorough necropsy, and even that doesn't always result in answers. It could have been a stroke, a seizure, a nightfright that led him to crash against the cage. It could have been any number of things. It's impossible to know.

OP
PotatoElf7

PotatoElf7

Nov 22, 2022
Parrots
Unfortunately, it's impossible to know without a full and thorough necropsy, and even that doesn't always result in answers. It could have been a stroke, a seizure, a nightfright that led him to crash against the cage. It could have been any number of things. It's impossible to know.
Thank you though for taking the time to answer my question. Sadly i cannot get a necropsy for my bird since my mother said it is not needed should i try and push it to see if it was anything harmful in the cage that can be prevented so my other conure doesn’t die the same way.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Thank you though for taking the time to answer my question. Sadly i cannot get a necropsy for my bird since my mother said it is not needed should i try and push it to see if it was anything harmful in the cage that can be prevented so my other conure doesn’t die the same way.
Honestly, it's unlikely that something that caused such a sudden death without ANY symptoms would affect the other bird. However, it is a very good idea to bring the other bird to the vet just to have a health check and blood work done. I would push that above getting a necropsy done as necropsy can be very expensive with no results. A simple bloodwork can usually hint at potential problems in most cases.

OP
PotatoElf7

PotatoElf7

Nov 22, 2022
Parrots
Honestly, it's unlikely that something that caused such a sudden death without ANY symptoms would affect the other bird. However, it is a very good idea to bring the other bird to the vet just to have a health check and blood work done. I would push that above getting a necropsy done as necropsy can be very expensive with no results. A simple bloodwork can usually hint at potential problems in most cases.
Thank you so much for everything i will take what you said and try to figure out how to give my other bird a longer life.

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Hi...
1) Was there anything fed, diet wise, that is new?
2) Was there any signs fumes from, heating, sprays, smoke, insectiside, etc.?
3) Have you inspected the current food they are eating if moldy, or possibly poisonous to them (if new)?
4) Any new toy added to the cage? Any possibility the water has been contaminated in any way?
5) What are you exactly feeding him? Sometimes nutritional deficiencies can build up...

Good luck and my sympathies....

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
New guests can accidentally use perfumes or room or clothing sprays that are toxic to birds. I’m sure your grandparents wouldn’t mean to hurt your birds but maybe they had some chemical on clothes or shoes.

My grandma burns crazy things in her fireplace and I have had my parrots stay in her home . I know she wouldn’t want to hurt my bird but she might not think of something. I have been in workplaces where sewer gas backed up and can imagine that would kill a parrot easily.

OP
PotatoElf7

PotatoElf7

Nov 22, 2022
Parrots
Hi...
1) Was there anything fed, diet wise, that is new?
2) Was there any signs fumes from, heating, sprays, smoke, insectiside, etc.?
3) Have you inspected the current food they are eating if moldy, or possibly poisonous to them (if new)?
4) Any new toy added to the cage? Any possibility the water has been contaminated in any way?
5) What are you exactly feeding him? Sometimes nutritional deficiencies can build up...

Good luck and my sympathies....
Nothing was out of the ordinary and now that i think about it i think that it was a nutritional deficiency that had built up over the time that we had one and then a couple days later the other one died from what i’m guessing was stress from the other one that had died.

OP
PotatoElf7

PotatoElf7

Nov 22, 2022
Parrots
New guests can accidentally use perfumes or room or clothing sprays that are toxic to birds. I’m sure your grandparents wouldn’t mean to hurt your birds but maybe they had some chemical on clothes or shoes.

My grandma burns crazy things in her fireplace and I have had my parrots stay in her home . I know she wouldn’t want to hurt my bird but she might not think of something. I have been in workplaces where sewer gas backed up and can imagine that would kill a parrot easily.
Thank you for your input but my grandma doesn’t wear any perfume and my grandpa doesn’t put on any cologne. Any smell that they had brought was already an existing smell inside the house previously and sewer gas is not a problem in my house.

OP
PotatoElf7

PotatoElf7

Nov 22, 2022
Parrots
Thank you everyone that replied for giving me advice to help me give my remaining parrot the best care i could sadly it was too late and bless all of you guys and any parrots that you have.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I would think that if it were some toxic airborne substance it would have killed or at least affected both birds. I think it was a heart attack or stroke.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss. As mentioned by others, there is no way to tell without a necropsy and with the speed that it happened I also think it could have been a stroke or his precious heart.
Are there any stories you'd like to share about him? If so, I'd love to hear them.
My heart goes out to you.

BourkeHaven

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Bourkes
Do you use glade plug ins at all? A lady I had homed a young baby with decided to put those in, I had warned about smells and perfume type things before hand. All five of her birds died within a week.

Most Reactions