Why did my Sun chew my wrist?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
So my Sun loves to sit on my shoulder but she also likes to chew clothing. I use a parrot cape to protect my clothing. Today she flew on my shoulder when Id idn't have the cape on and started chewing my sweater. I offered my hand for her to step up and she flew off.

I grabbed my cape and started putting it on but Sunny flew and landed on my arm. She was on the edge of my sleave but started chewing on my wrist. It kind of hurt so I shooed her off.

Finally, once I had my cape on, I allowed her to fly back to me and have a seat.

Was she chewing my wrist because she thought perhaps it was still my sweater or was she doesn't that for another reason?

She didn't break the skin but there was a dent where her beak was. Now the area is just swollen and puffy.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Update

Yeah she got moody later today. She didn’t want to climb off of my shoulder. Looks like I answered my own question. She was in a mood.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is common to forget that the wrist is the lowest point of one's arm and when we walk about it is common for dead skin, fluff from our cloths to kind of gather there. It is also the transition point to the hand and the palm of our hands are a common sweat point and as a result the mix of moisture, body salt and dead skin that fall from that area to also find its way to your wrist.

To a Parrot this makes for an interesting place to savage from -or- she was just not happy with being chased-off your shoulder and elected to provide you a reminder that you are her's!

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
It is common to forget that the wrist is the lowest point of one's arm and when we walk about it is common for dead skin, fluff from our cloths to kind of gather there. It is also the transition point to the hand and the palm of our hands are a common sweat point and as a result the mix of moisture, body salt and dead skin that fall from that area to also find its way to your wrist.

To a Parrot this makes for an interesting place to savage from -or- she was just not happy with being chased-off your shoulder and elected to provide you a reminder that you are her's!
Well, I am flatter that she considers me hers LOL!

Most Reactions

Latest posts