Why do my jenday conures like the dark?

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
I recently got a little hanging hut for them to sit in if they’d like but they refuse to sit in it or even check it out. How can I get them to check it out before I take it out?
Also instead of sitting in jt , they sit under it , which is a dark corner with little space
Why do they do that ? They’ve got heat and everything

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 59

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Happy huts, or similar things are not good for your parrot. Why? For a few reasons.
First - if they chew or nibble at them, the fibers can be ingested and block their digestive tracts. THis happens so often, its a wonder that companies even offer them anymore. We read about parrots dyeing from this all the time! Its heartbreaking. Its really hard to tell if they are ingesting the fibers until its too late.
Second - any dark hidey spots, whether in cage or around the house, are to be avoided as these places can trigger hormonal mating behavior (biting, screaming and other stuff you want to avoid). Seems like Happy Huts are designed exactly to trigger this, like some diabolical artifice created by cats to annoy parrot owners!

Best advice - ditch the hut!

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Happy huts, or similar things are not good for your parrot. Why? For a few reasons.
First - if they chew or nibble at them, the fibers can be ingested and block their digestive tracts. THis happens so often, its a wonder that companies even offer them anymore. We read about parrots dyeing from this all the time! Its heartbreaking. Its really hard to tell if they are ingesting the fibers until its too late.
Second - any dark hidey spots, whether in cage or around the house, are to be avoided as these places can trigger hormonal mating behavior (biting, screaming and other stuff you want to avoid). Seems like Happy Huts are designed exactly to trigger this, like some diabolical artifice created by cats to annoy parrot owners!

Best advice - ditch the hut!
Thank you! This is so frustrating how these type of things are being sold. I always do research before buying and placing and there’s always contradicting agreements. Glad I joined this forum! I’ve had to remove sand perches and this hut. Do you have any suggestions for perches?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thank you! This is so frustrating how these type of things are being sold. I always do research before buying and placing and there’s always contradicting agreements. Glad I joined this forum! I’ve had to remove sand perches and this hut. Do you have any suggestions for perches?
Thanks for removing the hut!
What perches do you have currently?

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Thanks for removing the hut!
What perches do you have currently?
I had sand ones which I removed and sadly I have the wooden ones as of right now. I’m ordered rope and natural wood ones asap

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I had sand ones which I removed and sadly I have the wooden ones as of right now. I’m ordered rope and natural wood ones asap
Great job, so nice to see improvement! Natural wood and rope are great, but not too much rope, and if your bird chews it either remove them or switch them out for sisal perches.

Reactions: Raz
OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Great job, so nice to see improvement! Natural wood and rope are great, but not too much rope, and if your bird chews it either remove them or switch them out for sisal perches.
Thanks! Cant wait to get them :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah the multi-colored woven cotton type perches have to be closely monitored for fraying and or being nibbled on. Aside from ingesting fibers, parrots can get their feets tangled in the loose threads. And those type of perches, cotton or sisal, are a real PIA to get clean from the poops that inevitably wind up on them.

Geezz, parrot owners need to be Svengali to make sure the environment is safe for the birds.

Reactions: Raz
OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Yeah the multi-colored woven cotton type perches have to be closely monitored for fraying and or being nibbled on. Aside from ingesting fibers, parrots can get their feets tangled in the loose threads. And those type of perches, cotton or sisal, are a real PIA to get clean from the poops that inevitably wind up on them.

Geezz, parrot owners need to be Svengali to make sure the environment is safe for the birds.
I’ve taken them out! Next step of action is the perches

Most Reactions

Latest posts