WHY do my tiels keep fighting at night?

chqrty

Dec 10, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel (Female)
Cockatiel (Male)
They hatched in March this year so they're about 9ish-10ish months. They're handraised siblings who have been together since. For some reason recently, they've had fights during the night. At first it was just squabbles for the spot in the highest corner, but now they've started taking turns chasing and terrorizing each other. I've tried searching. It could be my schedule messing them up, for context I sleep erratically and leave the lights on for long periods of time, turning them off, then on at various hours. I tried adjusting that but the fights still continue. Tonight, after turning off the LOUD purifier, they've stopped, but sometimes i'll hear Pixel (My female) hiss at Fiji (My male) followed by sounds of clanging against the bars (Maybe climbing?) Why are they still fighting...? How can I make this happen a little less? (There has been no blood-drawn yet, but I've heard people's bonded pairs can kill each other sometimes......)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You need to separate them.
if they really fighting and not just …… having a loud disagreement.
these things happen.

My father Tiel Cheeky was caged with his son Popeye (hand raised in my home) for 2/3 years with little trouble.
They would argue now/then about perching location.
But one day they started going after each other.
Tried putting them together a few times.
It’s like those Chin fighting fish.
They fight as soon as together

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
How dark is the room? If it's very dark they could be having night frights. A dim night light can help.
Otherwise you might have to separate them like texsize suggested above

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
these things happen.

My father Tiel Cheeky was caged with his son Popeye (hand raised in my home) for 2/3 years with little trouble.
Relationships can change. When you say fighting what do you exactly mean?
There is squabbling when they lunge their beaks like a boxers jab. But I think a real fight is when their latching on with their beaks and maybe even using their feet. Would you agree?
Prolonged squabbling is no good but either

OP
C

chqrty

Dec 10, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel (Female)
Cockatiel (Male)
Relationships can change. When you say fighting what do you exactly mean?
There is squabbling when they lunge their beaks like a boxers jab. But I think a real fight is when their latching on with their beaks and maybe even using their feet. Would you agree?
Prolonged squabbling is no good but either
They just hiss at each other and sometimes will lunge at each other, but then they'll turn around and preen each other and play with their toys quietly. Is this the bird equivalent of fighting your siblings then making up?

OP
C

chqrty

Dec 10, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel (Female)
Cockatiel (Male)
these things happen.

I've separated them once and they didn't seem very well, maybe it's just a unique problem to them but they seemed sad alone so I brought them back together and they returned to normal. They still occasionally squabble but they don't ever get injured they just swing at each other before bedtime.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
They just hiss at each other and sometimes will lunge at each other, but then they'll turn around and preen each other and play with their toys quietly. Is this the bird equivalent of fighting your siblings then making up?
Yea something like that or arguing over who is the best. But if your birds preen each other on occasion then that is a good relationship. Mine don't, they can't perch within a wing of eachother before squabbling

Most Reactions

Latest posts