Why do people get rid of parrorts in general ?

jzoom

Dec 7, 2012
I want to get a sun conure , accualy i want to adopt it. the person has many types of parrorts . but why.... I wonder ?! people gets rid of them ?

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
There are alot of reasons people get rid of their parrots unfortunetly. they coulda been a gift that they didn't want, they bought the bird on impulse and had no idea what they were getting into, they don't like all the work involved in keeping the cage clean, noise, behavior problems, they're moving and can't take them, they simply don't want him anymore, too expensive etc. etc. the list goes on and on. its pretty frustrating when they just don't want to work with the bird so they just throw him to anybody to just get them out of their house..but congrats on adopting a bird! there are lots that need homes from other people. im looking at adopting a jenday in my area:)

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
I think the main reason there are so many Sun Conure rehomes is noise. They think they can handle it when they get them, and then realize just how loud they really are. I have a Green Cheek Conure and can tolerate his minor bursts of noise. I have also heard a Sun scream from over and hour of so and was completely turned off. They are a beautiful bird but not for me.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I think parrots can be a more 'misunderstood' pet than many. And actually, they are less a 'pet' and more of an animal companion. Even a domestic bred parrot is essentially a 'wild' animal in a way, not like dogs. They take more skill or understanding or intuition--whatever that is that makes some of us inmmediately drawn to parrot friends. However i would say the majority of people find them fascinating or beautiful. There are probably many people who simply don't relate to them after getting them. They are not really an 'easy' pet, but more like a child. And unlike dogs, parrots are simply not as forgiving if they don't get what they need. They are more like human kids that way. They can be "bad" if they aren't handled right. Most people i know who wanted to get rid of their bird, it was because the bird was not given what s/he needed and became a 'nasty' resident in their home, not a 'pet'.
Breaks my heart. i swear parrots are probably the most misunderstood of all animals regularly kept as pets.
And sun conures do get very noisy, even when they are not being bad, just their nature. But they are boisterous little lunatic monkeys! Very fun and cute. If you find one to adopt and can handle some high volume sometimes, go for it. Sometimes re-homed pets can be the very best when they finally get the love they need.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
So many reasons for people not wanting their parrots, as members have mentioned above. Some are very reasobale reasons, such as a guardian becomes ill, or passes away.
Many people do not realize how muh time and dedication goes into making sure a bird is healthy and happy.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Though I can not imagine a sun conure being as loud as a too or Macaw but all the information I read said conures are known to be loud but the GCC is the quietness. I can tolerate my Green cheek conure. There are many reasons as stated above why people rehome parrots. Noise, mess, behavior problems. Parents get the bird as a pet for a child and they may end up taking care of the bird. Or a teen may take care of a bird, who the parents will hate when their kid goes to college. Some people buy on a impulse and become overwheled or they think they could handle it but it ends up being too much. Others claim they don't have enough time or in some adds I seen on craigslist on Macaws the bird is costing too much. Exotic pets (if you want to call them that) are usualy expensive. Parrots and ferrets for example are not cheap. Even reptiles are not cheap to care for. There is sadly a reason Forida now has a variety of exotic reptiles now being invasive to the local wildlife. Unlike reptiles birds are social beings and unlike ferrets can be noisey. Some people hate the sound of dogs barking (well a parrot sounds worse then a dog to most people's opinion). Some people even cannot stand the chirping sounds of finches and canaries (who when compared to most hookbills do not sound terrible). One coworker told me she had a couple of toos she sold on caigslist because they were being being aggresive to her small child and she hated to see then caged 24/7. Of course old age, death of caretaker, owner losing home and can not take the bird with them, or moving somewhere where they can not take the bird.

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Conures are very loud, plus people buy them as babies and are not informed of the fact that they won't stay babies forever. I've seen so many adds where people are selling a 3 year old conure because they are afraid of them, their sweet bird is suddenly angry or constantly screaming.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I agree with everyone else--the main reason people get rid of Sun conures is NOISE! While their volume may not be as high as a cockatoo, they can be relentless in the duration of their chattering. Hours a day if they feel like it. And the volume is loud enough that even the neighbors will hear it if you live in an apartment or town house.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I agree with everyone else--the main reason people get rid of Sun conures is NOISE! While their volume may not be as high as a cockatoo, they can be relentless in the duration of their chattering. Hours a day if they feel like it. And the volume is loud enough that even the neighbors will hear it if you live in an apartment or town house.
I actually prefer a cockatoo over a conure XD The white cockatoos can be extremely loud but I find them easier to tolerate.

truste

Sep 21, 2012
NYC
Parrots
Pineapple GCC--still unnamed!
Unfortunately, many people buy parrots without being fully informed about them. They see movies and parrots at the pet store and think "hey, parrots are pretty, can talk, live in a cage" and thus feel like they're cool and easy pets. What they don't realize is, not all parrots talk--some only do when you spend a long time teaching it to, some never do at all--and talking is a big attraction for a lot of the people "new" to parrots. They also don't realize that parrots can't just sit in a cage all day. They need LOTS of attention, out of cage time, toys, etc.

Parrots are also extremely intelligent which means they need mental stimulation, and they don't respond to the same kind of things that dogs do (ex: if you talk to a dog in a loud, stern voice--which is natural for an angry human to do--it usually understands that it has done something wrong, so you can use "talking in an angry tone" to train a dog. Not so for parrots). If they don't like something, they will bite or scream. Many scream even if they're happy. These things aren't the kinds of things you see on TV, so people who don't do their research don't realize that a parrot isn't for them until they've got a screaming, biting parrot who's started to pluck its beautiful feathers from lack of attention. And at that point, sadly, the easiest thing to do is to give it away.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Some people buy Parrots on a whim without doing any research first and then find that the cute little Bird they first see in the Shop or with the breeder is either, too loud , too much hard work, or , too messy and find they cannot cope with the responsibility!!

This is not always the case though... as already mentioned, it could be , a House Move or the Death of its Owner, allergies etc.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Some people also have expectations and when they get the parrot home it doesn't meet it. Example a parrot species know for the ability to talk doesn't. A species known to be friendly bites etc.
Also the pet stores and internet don't always give an accurate picture. Birds need to have attention 1-3 hours a day. Some need more and some need less, each bird is an individual and you need to learn how best to handle the individual.
I know when I was looking to get a parrot I did hours upon hours of research and I didn't even make up my mind to what species I wanted. We didn't make that decision till we actually met the birds.

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
Impulsive purchases, thinking you are wiser and that "it will never happen to me", a lack of training time, and poor decision making skills. Also, sheer ignorance.
I've learned never to take on someone else's poor choice, such as when someone rehomes a troubled bird and you immediately want that bird..
I took of someone else's bird, thought I was smarter than more experienced owners and housed them all together too soon.
I now know better and regret some poor choices I made.

Impulse buys scare me as a breeder. One day a client says "I can't keep my macaw because I'm allergic" and sells it, then a week later they want to purchase my birds!!
I've learned never to trust a buyers word 100%, never sell to someone with allergies, and never lower a price. Low prices just help bad owners obtain a "cool" "trendy" pet.
I live in a small town that recently had a Petco open in it.. Now it's suddenly cool to have birds, and there are a 10x more birds in shelters, dead, on Craigslist, etc.
We have ignorant owners and NO bird vet within 5 hours of us! I'm the only person that works on birds and oh man, the things I've been seeing are terribly saddening!
So in a way, I also blame animal sales!!

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
This is loud...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcIBk9geaaE&feature=g-crec-u]DSCF0770 - YouTube[/ame]

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

I actually prefer a cockatoo over a conure XD The white cockatoos can be extremely loud but I find them easier to tolerate.

I have to think you are a pretty special person. I never heard a cockatoo in real life. But the sounds from youtube videos or sound clips of a screaming cockatoo from mytoos just makes me cringe. Some examples I heard of cockatoos sound like they scream almost human like. And I have heard examples on the internet still can not do justice on the loud sounds parrots can make.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

Unfortunately, many people buy parrots without being fully informed about them. They see movies and parrots at the pet store and think "hey, parrots are pretty, can talk, live in a cage" and thus feel like they're cool and easy pets. What they don't realize is, not all parrots talk--some only do when you spend a long time teaching it to, some never do at all--and talking is a big attraction for a lot of the people "new" to parrots. They also don't realize that parrots can't just sit in a cage all day. They need LOTS of attention, out of cage time, toys, etc.

Parrots are also extremely intelligent which means they need mental stimulation, and they don't respond to the same kind of things that dogs do (ex: if you talk to a dog in a loud, stern voice--which is natural for an angry human to do--it usually understands that it has done something wrong, so you can use "talking in an angry tone" to train a dog. Not so for parrots). If they don't like something, they will bite or scream. Many scream even if they're happy. These things aren't the kinds of things you see on TV, so people who don't do their research don't realize that a parrot isn't for them until they've got a screaming, biting parrot who's started to pluck its beautiful feathers from lack of attention. And at that point, sadly, the easiest thing to do is to give it away.
I metioned my parrot a work and one coworker was asking does it talk? She would like a pet monkey and a talking parrot. I told her that you want the bird to be tame. But she said as long as the bird talks she does not care if it is tame. The thing is the novelty of a talking bird wears off. And to be honest there a nonhookbilled species that would probably do better at talking then parrots (such as crows and Myahn birds). Luckily she can not afford neither a monkey or a parrot.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I want to get a sun conure , accualy i want to adopt it. the person has many types of parrorts . but why.... I wonder ?! people gets rid of them ?

I was in a situation with a nervous breakdown.. Work! I was unable to care for all my birds, and had to surrender them all to a rescue...

Sometimes life gets in the way...

Most Reactions

Latest posts