why does he scratch his own beak!?

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
3 year old indian ringneck
Hey,
I hope you and your bird's are doing great!
But i have been getting quite a bit concenred because my IRN seems to be intentionally scratching his beak..
Is this normal or should i take him to an avian vet?
(I'll attach a picture of how it looks)

Attachments

• 200D4ED4-02B2-49A4-BCAA-DA4924C84638.jpeg
    200D4ED4-02B2-49A4-BCAA-DA4924C84638.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 46

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
birds rub their beak on their surroundings for multiple reasons. I had this issue with my eclectus where he would rub his beak on the corner of his cage, thus scratching it. I just wrapped it in vet wrap and called it a day.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just want to make clear - Owlet means: - wrapped the bars on the corner of the cage and NOT wrapped Lincoln's beak!!

Parrot sometimes like the sharpen the old can openers up, wipe them off after a massy meal, or just becasue they like how it feels/sounds. Beaks get worn off as they grow and never stop. Maybe if he is wearing the beak through a layer or 2 of his beak would I worry. Parrots can be frightfully tough on beaks, depends on the parrot. Salty is plenty tough on his, he likes to play with a stainless steel play toy and his metal tubular bell, God how he fights with it; his beak is frikken razor sharp, like freshy knapped flint. Plenty of wear there! My last parrot Max, Beebee parrot, was strictly a plastics man. His beak needed trimming occasionally.

Last edited:

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Yeah, that's right, it's exactly like sharpening the can opener.

Most Reactions

Latest posts