Why does Luna do this?

Lunasmum

May 23, 2020
England
Parrots
Double yellow headed amazon
[ame="https://youtu.be/IyghRdoPrMI"]Why does my parrot do this? - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully the link works, I couldn't get the video to upload straight on here so tried via YouTube. She does this when someone comes close to the cage to talk to her and sometimes will do laps of her cage doing it.

OP
Lunasmum

Lunasmum

May 23, 2020
England
Parrots
So it doesn't mean anything? I cant find anything online that seems similar lol

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't know for sure.
Are you talking about the wing flipping?

My Yellow nape does this when he is feeling in the mood for mating.

OP
Lunasmum

Lunasmum

May 23, 2020
England
Parrots
The whole noise with feathers up/ flapping she seems to do it when she gets excited by someone coming close to speak if she is in her cage. She has also regurgitated a couple of times after doing this so maybe it's as you say. Is she not too young at a year old to be showing hormonal behaviour though?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Looks like some sort of vocalization/body language pantomime. Parrots are filled with surprises, seems harmless.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Because he can!

Like David said...because she can! Amy does something very similar..will hang upside down,kind of wiggle his arms,and will say "rent..rent.." ( thats what i get out of it at least :rolleyes:) never could figure out why and I gave up trying to lol.

Jim

OP
Lunasmum

Lunasmum

May 23, 2020
England
Parrots
As long as its harmless I will continue to enjoy the show lol, it does get a lot more excessive and funny with her doing laps of her cage whilst doing it lol but of course as soon as the camera comes out she stops. Parrots are fascinating, I could watch her all day ��

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
Mine does this a lot also. Most of the time it's when he is contemplating going to sleep. After 37 years, I stopped wondering.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Probably a combo of excitement and display behavior...as long as you aren't having other issues, I'd say it's harmless. Mine will do this stupid bob on her cage wall when she wants to go go bed or come out--very repetitive and usually accompanied by a sound that reminds me of a puppy mixed with a squeaky toy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts