Why does my baby conure weigh more than an adult?

KiwiDaWeirdo

Sep 9, 2022
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure
My baby crimson bellied conure that’s 23 days old is weighing 96g. I searched on the internet and saw that adults were supposed to weigh 85-94g. Could there be anything wrong?

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Hmm... it's not a big overweight, maybe it's just because in general babies are more plump before weaning because they eat a lot and don't fly yet... maybe somebody else should write own opinion

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Nominal weights for a given species is just an average of specimens recorded - there are always outliers and he could just be a big boy. You want to watch weight closely and see if its dropping - thats not a good sign.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
My Sun Conure Phoenix, a male always weighed in at 123 to 126 grams all above the internets posted limit if 120. He's very active, healthy and could give Maverick a run for his money in flight skill.
20220718_082258.jpg

I would be more worried about big weight gains or losses than the fact he may be an outliner and be a bit bigger than the norm.

OP
K

KiwiDaWeirdo

Sep 9, 2022
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure
Ok thanks all! I’ll just keep an eye on his weight for the next week or so to make sure he doesn’t lose or gain too much weight :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
New baby birds are often heavier than their parents. If he was in the wild he’d lose this weight when he left the nest. It’s quite normal. And also, what wrench wrote.

Most Reactions