Why does she hate video games?

Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
My conure is really weird on this. She doesn't mind anything I do. But if I pick up a video game controller she goes nuts and attacks my hands. I have no idea why. I have had her her entire life, aside the couple months the breeder had her.

Is this normal?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Both answers above are highly likely.

OP
Jennifer RachaelAnn
Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
She doesnā€™t attack me when I play on my phone, and isnā€™t particularly interested when Iā€™m on my Switch. She only goes for blood when I pick up a video game controller. So I honestly donā€™t think itā€™s that sheā€™s jealous. Itā€™s probably a long shot, but maybe sheā€™s just afraid of the controllers for some odd reason?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My conure is really weird on this. She doesn't mind anything I do. But if I pick up a video game controller she goes nuts and attacks my hands. I have no idea why. I have had her her entire life, aside the couple months the breeder had her.

Is this normal?
She hates them because she can't play them šŸ˜‰

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Is this every controller or a specific controller?

I had a hot pink one our tiel chewed the buttons off of. He left our other ones alone!

OP
Jennifer RachaelAnn
Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
Is this every controller or a specific controller?

I had a hot pink one our tiel chewed the buttons off of. He left our other ones alone!
Every controller. It doesn't matter what system it is, she gets flat out mean when I pick one up. I hoestly don't know what to make of it. But like I said, she has no problem with me playing on my phone and Switch.

I know she's a weird bird, but this one defies explanation for me.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Every controller. It doesn't matter what system it is, she gets flat out mean when I pick one up. I hoestly don't know what to make of it. But like I said, she has no problem with me playing on my phone and Switch.

I know she's a weird bird, but this one defies explanation for me.
Thatā€™s so crazy!

I have a real funny photo of our cockatiel sitting on my switch -

E1376F6C-6DDE-4ED8-86A1-D63CF9B622E6.jpeg

Maybe she hates the other controllers because they arenā€™t as comfortable to perch on!

In all seriousness, birds are just weird sometimes. Iā€™m sorry sheā€™s attacking your hands, that sounds painful! The best I can think of is either trying to desensitize her to them with treats, or play in a room where she canā€™t see you or after she goes to bed.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Sometimes it feels like they pick a random object and just decide to hate it. My GCC hates when I pick up a chapstick tube while she is on my hand. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Maybe if you left the controller nearby so itā€™s in view while your birb is caged or on a play stand? And slowly over time they can see itā€™s not a threat? Sometimes that helps mine.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Do you use a wired controller or a wireless one?
If it's a wired control is could be the wire that is the issue.
Birds natural enemies are snakes and your bird might see the wire as a snake.

I thought because I hand raised my three baby cockatiels I could easily train them to use an aviator harness.
I could not get near them with the harness and my assumption was it was too snake like for them to become accustomed to.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thatā€™s so crazy!

I have a real funny photo of our cockatiel sitting on my switch -

View attachment 48643

Maybe she hates the other controllers because they arenā€™t as comfortable to perch on!

In all seriousness, birds are just weird sometimes. Iā€™m sorry sheā€™s attacking your hands, that sounds painful! The best I can think of is either trying to desensitize her to them with treats, or play in a room where she canā€™t see you or after she goes to bed.
I love the picture.
Somewhere I have a picture of Luna sitting on my iPad while I was playing with it.
Because Luna as 1/2 wild using a tablet to pick her up and mover her from place to place has become her backup mode of transportation (primary is flying).

OP
Jennifer RachaelAnn
Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
I am a classic gamer for the most part, but we do both play on our PS5's and Xbox Series X. I wouldn't say she's mad because she can't perch on them, as she has attacked my hands since the first time she saw a controller in my hand.

And you better believe it hurts. She has drawn blood several times. Her beak is extremely sharp, despite having a cuttle bone. It has gotten to a point that if I want to play in the front room and have her out, I have to cover up with a blanket. She can't see my hands, so she doesn't know what I'm doing. But if I take that same blanket off and she can see what I'm doing, here comes the devil and he's covered in feathers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts