Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
I have a Cinnamon GCC (Honey)
and a BCC (Conrad)AKA Connie
GCC (Jinx)
3x Goffin2 (Liam)(Mya)(Goose)
2x B&G Macaw (Cozzy)(Blue)
Heres the short story, If you want more info or to get the whole story read down. I rescued 2 conures, a male (fiery shoulder) and a female (GCC). they were being sold as a breeding pair. they were being housed in a (18 L x 14 W x 20 in H) vision cage together, only had 2 perches, canary food and water dish in the cage. Neither one of these birds had tails, the male had plucked his chest and their beaks are damaged as if they were hit with something when they bit. I have them in a (34L x 18W x 34H) cage with a few toys, cozy hut, lots of perches, and pellets. I work with them every day to try and build their trust, I let them interact with my Black capped conure and my cinnamon GCC. Why do people buy these things and dont bother to learn anything about them before they do. If anyone has any suggestions on how to help win their trust or any suggestions period I am open to them. I will post some pictures in the next post.

Im going to give a list of names so you know what Im talking about when I tell the story.
Linda - very well known very reputable conure breeder in my area
John - not his real name, but what I will be calling the culprit

On Sunday may 5th I attended a bird mart, its where people in my area get together and breeders can sell birds and other people sell supplies (toys, cages, food, supplements, ect). I spent a lot of time there walking around with my cinnamon green cheek conure and my black capped conure on my shoulder. People asking me questions about how they are so well trained that they dont try to fly away or ump off, they just sit nicely. I love telling how Ive made things work, my ways are maybe different then other peoples and it may be helpful. Anyways, I was speaking with linda for quite some time, went around the mart a few times. The third time or so around I noticed 2 conures on the table paralelle to lindas table. I asked her what re those? She replied "well one is a fiery shoulder conure the other is a green cheek". The next question was, why dont they have tails? she answered "I dont know, I cant ask John because if I do I will start a fight, but can you ask him and find out? I said of course Ill find out. I asked the man, why dont these birds have tails? Johns response was "well my kids were playing with them". In my head im thinking WTF were your kids doing with these birds that their tails were ripped out. The I asked John, are they a pair? He responds "yes they are a breeding pair".

I left the bird mart shortly after, I had no idea that these birds he was with were for sale. I told my mother the story. I figured she´d be mad about me even thinking about buying more birds. She asked me if I wanted to go back to the mart and offer the man some money for the birds. Of course I wanted to. When I got there they were gone. I asked linda if the birds were for sale, she told me she thought they were. I asked the people running the mart if they had any info for this John and if they were aware of the condition his birds were in, they didnt have his info and he just walked in last minute and asked if he could sell his birds.

I spent the next few days searching craigslist and kijiji for an ad for these birds. I felt so bad I didnt buy them when I saw them. Well I found them for sale on Kijiji, I emailed him and had a meeting the next day.

John kept changing the time he wanted to meet, so I wind up having to take the train to his place to get them. When I get there these birds are living in Vision Bird Cage for small birds (S01) - Small Wire, single height (18 L x 14 W x 20 in H) . 2 conures in this tiny cage, in this cage was 1 food ( canary seed) 1 tiny hang on water dish. the 2 perches that come with the cage and nothing else. The man said he wanted $400 for both birds I told him I wouldnt pay over $300. He accepts.

When I got these birds home I have a chance to inspect them. both birds beaks are damaged, looks like they were hit with something. neither one of them had a tail. and the male (fiery shoulder) had plucked most of hist chest probably due to stress. These birds are terrified of people, not that I blame them if someone ripped a chunk of my hair out I would probably avoid them as well. They are so skinny its sick. I threw the cage he gave me in the trash, and put them in a (34 L x 18 W x 34 H)
lots of perches, a couple toys (which they had never seen before and were scared of) a cozy hut, and pellets to eat. I will do my best to try and make them not afraid of people anymore, and give them a good diet so they can grow thier feathers back but it will take some time. I put them on the play gym I have with my other 2 conures and if I pickup my conures first I can touch the new birds, they still dont want to be picked up and they do not step up.

I guess the biggest points for me were that this guy knew nothing about these birds
1. he bought a "breeding pair" for his kids and wondered why they couldnt touch them
2. they are different species and shouldnt be bred
3. He wasnt feeding them or housing in any sort of appropriate way
4. he saw nothing wrong with the condition these birds are in

OP
B

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
GCC (Jinx)
First few days I had them, cant get near them with the camera

my 2 boys and the new boy playing nice

2.5 weeks in they still dont like the camera, but they have tiny tails coming in

The fiery shoulder did not want me to take a picture of his tummy

Catherine_

Nov 7, 2012
Far North Coast of NSW, Australia
Parrots
Sam; Alexandrina
I also can never understand why people don't do their research before they buy their birds and other pets such as dogs. I am glad that you have taken in these birds and hopefully over time they will become more trusting of humans.​

OP
B

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
GCC (Jinx)
I hope so as well, they are beautiful birds. Unfortunately I have no intentions on keeping the female as all my other birds are male, but I may keep her a good year or two to work with her. I was so upset when I went back for them and they were gone, I felt like I had failed. You´d think with the cost of these bird less people would buy them as novelty items. I work in the petcare business and the amount of stupidity and lack of common sense never sises to amaze me

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
While it is definitely true that many people don't do their research, we also have to remember that there are many pet store owners and breeders out there that will say anything to get a customer to buy. So it's not just about finding fault with new 'uneducated' bird/pet owners. I know that I've spoken to and emailed a few breeders where while they weren't lying, they certainly weren't telling the full truth. I've overheard pet store owners give bad information many times. It's easy for all of us to point the finger at someone when we see the current outcome in these situations. I'm not saying this guy wasn't responsible (he certainly sounds completely detached from those poor birds), but what originally led to this? That's what we have to consider.

On another note - good for you for giving these birds a new home and a much better chance at a great life.

OP
B

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
GCC (Jinx)
I know all about the stores that will say what ever you want to hear to make a sale, I was always a thorn in their side because I believe in telling people what they need to know for the long run. Even sending people other places to buy stuff. This guy was lied to by the guy he bought them from, but he didnt do the research himself either. I know we cant blame them, but I made sure I told the guy why his kids couldnt handle them, why they couldnt/shouldnt breed. but the fact that he let hiss children rip one of the birds tail out, then let them handle the other bird to do the same thing, dumb founds me. we can not cure stupidity but we can try to help educate those willing to listen. Still open to any suggestions about how to approach these guys a ittle better.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I agree - the handling of those birds by his kids is actually a scary thought. I don't understand why he let them handle the second bird as well.

I've seen through your other posts that you know a lot about birds. I'm guessing these birds have only had each other and completely distrust humans. If they are bonded your work is going to be even harder (also makes me worry about you not keeping the female after a year or two. That could destroy her mentally all over again). I think while everyone is going to say be patient, I believe you need to stretch that to the most patience ever. For the first month or two, lots of talk and praise and just show them they simply live in a safe caring home. Wait for them to finally come to you - you know, climbing the cage towards you or answering you when you talk to them. At that point take it one step further. Whatever you feel that step may be - taking treats from your hand, step up, etc. I believe they will become more trustful if they see you handling your other birds. Just be prepared for them to be bonded to each other in the long run. You're doing a wonderful thing for these birds and simply giving them a new home is a massive improvement in their quality of life.

OP
B

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
GCC (Jinx)
would you say it would be easier on them if they were separated now, or keep them all together but dont provide a place to nest? I am not prepared to deal with breeding, this is my only concern on keeping the female

OP
B

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
GCC (Jinx)
I've seen through your other posts that you know a lot about birds..
Thank you for that comment, I take great pride in my pets, and do my best to learn as much as I can before taking on a new one. I know a bit but I am always listening and learning, but its the best part of my job sharing with people what Ive learned and trying to help.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gosh...those poor babies! :eek:

THANK YOU for getting them out their horrible situation! I am SO glad you found them again. And I'm sure they are even happier to FINALLY get the love and care they so much deserve. :)

I'm sure you will have your work cut out for you, but I firmly believe that love will prevail. :) KUDOS to you!

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
IMO the title of this thread is very confrontational so I'm going to feel okay about asking YOU a question.

Have you ever researched the dangers of taking your birds to a bird show where they are exposed to birds who could be carrying disease?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
not everyone does research, should they?? absolutely, but the reality is they don't.

not everyone knows everything about what they buy, whether it's a car, house or an animal.we rely on people to be honest and upfront with information, so we can make a formed decision.
if the buyer is totally ignorant and doesn't care then yes they should research, prior to purchasing.
the difference is animals have feelings, and are affected greatly by changing their environments.
they are the ones that suffer.
I think it's important to suggest that quarantine is imperative, and not risk your other birds
to any infectious diseases...since you really don't have any prior knowledge of the history on these two.
it may be a mute point since you have introduced them already.
when I first came on here, I was told point blank to quarantine always....I have followed that advice and never regretted it.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I'm sorry, but I didn't see either the question Why dont people do their research? or any answer to it...did I miss them? ? ?

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
If they have a true bond I would keep them together. If not I would think separate cages are in order.

Peanutsmum

Jan 23, 2013
Devon, UK
Parrots
GCC Peanut Male hatched 19/10/12
Omg poor little birds! It makes me sick to see any animal badly treated either through neglect or through ignorance of a breed of animal. I did months of research about Green Cheeked Conures before I committed to getting Peanut. The store I got Peanut from are award winners for their pet care so I knew I was getting a healthy companion and they were suitably impressed by my research and knowledge. They will not sell any parrot to someone who doesnt have the right knowledge or hasnt had parrots before.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
... They will not sell any parrot to someone who doesnt have the right knowledge or hasnt had parrots before.

How do they determine this? Sounds a bit like the way rescues work, requiring classes and intake interviews, etc.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
They will not sell any parrot to someone who doesn't have the right knowledge or hasn't had parrots before.

Sounds like my kind of shop.....more should be so interested...more in the welfare of the birds thhan in the ringing of their cash register.....

Peanutsmum

Jan 23, 2013
Devon, UK
Parrots
GCC Peanut Male hatched 19/10/12
The store I used asks species specific questions that you would only know if you did research. If they have any doubts about potential new owners then they refuse to sell any birds to that person. They spent an hour talking to me about care etc before I was able to take Peanut home. They also gave me a voucher for 30 days free exotics insurance which I have with Peanut. He's also microchipped and saw the vet a week after I got him and the vet said he was in great health

OP
B

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
GCC (Jinx)
IMO the title of this thread is very confrontational so I'm going to feel okay about asking YOU a question.

Have you ever researched the dangers of taking your birds to a bird show where they are exposed to birds who could be carrying disease?

Yes, I know the risks of taking my bird to a bird mart. My birds dont come in direct contact with any other birds, they also arent handled by anyone unless I allow it. That question was confrontational all on its own, like me asking you if you know the risks of having your kid in the car with you. Same way im sure your kid(s) dont walk around in a helmet attached to a leash, my birds go everywhere with me. Also I dont know about bird showss in you area, but the bird mart in my area only approved and reputable breeders are even allowed to have animals at the show, and only a couple of the secretaries of the exotic bird society bring their on bird along.

Most Reactions