Why has my parakeets head become like this

RioMakwana

Sep 22, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine Parakeet
I have noticed his head has been like this for a couple days and he seems drier than normal. Does look like a cause for concern. His diet is seeds and fresh Fruit and veg everyday so bit puzzled.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raks

EB277851-C6D1-4DEA-AEA6-A95A45CA868C.jpeg

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
It looks like some pin feathers are coming in indicating new feather growth...
The sheathes will dry and flake.

Unless others see something I don't.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Lots of new little feathers, some have just come out of the keritain sheath and have not fully spread out.

OP
R

RioMakwana

Sep 22, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine Parakeet
Yep nothing abnormal in the pic. Looks like he is wearing a bit on his beak tip, maybe from playing with the bars in his cage?
Yeah loves scratching his beak, can’t seem to help him
Stop that

onehalfoften

Sep 22, 2022
Media
Parrots
Double yellow Head. And budgie's
I have noticed his head has been like this for a couple days and he seems drier than normal. Does look like a cause for concern. His diet is seeds and fresh Fruit and veg everyday so bit puzzled.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raks

View attachment 44344
He's just molting perfectly fine not a problem if tame wait to the feathers get a little bit bigger and then take feather between two fingers squeeze very slightly if he makes noise it's not ready to yet but if he doesn't make any noise when you squeeze it then you just roll the feather between your fingers back and forth slightly and the wax coating will fall off and he will appreciate it is good bonding

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
He's just molting perfectly fine not a problem if tame wait to the feathers get a little bit bigger and then take feather between two fingers squeeze very slightly if he makes noise it's not ready to yet but if he doesn't make any noise when you squeeze it then you just roll the feather between your fingers back and forth slightly and the wax coating will fall off and he will appreciate it is good bonding
True. If you learn to open these pins your bird will be very grateful and happy with you and he will start to “ask” for head preening.

But if he’s reluctant to let you open or roll them between your fingernails he may yelp and I think that means it hurts and the feather isn’t ready yet. In which case you may get nipped or given a dirty look. Which is just part of having a parrot I think. Them getting mad at you because you don’t know how to do bird things right.

Most Reactions