Why I am not getting another Gray...no matter how bad I want to

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
Hello everyone. I suppose this post is geared more for those who are considering an African Gray, for any of the thousands of reasons to want one. Or maybe it's just a way to get some of my feelings out right now, IDK. One week ago Monday I lost my CAG. He was only 24, but had heart disease, congestive heart failure, and epilepsy. Believe me...it was not for lack of what I did for him. There were no ends to what I did for him. Anyhow, I am ripped in two. Grew up in the country and have lost so many pets...but as you know, a Gray is NOT a pet. He is a companion...and really was like my third child. For all these years I never flew to visit family, we drove. For him. Showers, naps, good mornings, good nights, camping, hiking...I can only see now that he managed his way into EVERY. LITTLE. CRACK. OF. MY. LIFE. In nearly 20 years my wife and I have only been away twice for a single night...for him. All this to say that I am aching for him back...which leads me to getting another...because you CANNOT replace what a Gray gives to you. I told him when he died...I could NEVER give back to you what you have given me. I'm 50 years old. A young gray is out of the question based on how long that CAN live. (despite the rumors, two Vets in Denver area told me they rarely see them live past 30-35...who knows). Everything you read or hear is different. So my age leads me to the only thing I now believe in....rescuing a parrot. That's all I would consider. However, if one bonded to me for rescue...I have to be honest and admit my selfishness...I cannot lose a friend like this again. I just...I just can't.
If you have the capacity, there are broken, lonely and hurting birds out there that NEED YOU. Please consider going that route.

Never doubt this, my friends...next to my wife and kids and knowing Jesus, he was the greatest thing to ever happen to me.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Attachments

• 20220727_131449.jpg
    20220727_131449.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a wonderful life together, and I think that rescuing a bird is a great tribute to the love you shared.
Any bird you bring home will have hit the lottery.
Again, I am so very sorry for your loss of your feathered friend.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello everyone. I suppose this post is geared more for those who are considering an African Gray, for any of the thousands of reasons to want one. Or maybe it's just a way to get some of my feelings out right now, IDK. One week ago Monday I lost my CAG. He was only 24, but had heart disease, congestive heart failure, and epilepsy. Believe me...it was not for lack of what I did for him. There were no ends to what I did for him. Anyhow, I am ripped in two. Grew up in the country and have lost so many pets...but as you know, a Gray is NOT a pet. He is a companion...and really was like my third child. For all these years I never flew to visit family, we drove. For him. Showers, naps, good mornings, good nights, camping, hiking...I can only see now that he managed his way into EVERY. LITTLE. CRACK. OF. MY. LIFE. In nearly 20 years my wife and I have only been away twice for a single night...for him. All this to say that I am aching for him back...which leads me to getting another...because you CANNOT replace what a Gray gives to you. I told him when he died...I could NEVER give back to you what you have given me. I'm 50 years old. A young gray is out of the question based on how long that CAN live. (despite the rumors, two Vets in Denver area told me they rarely see them live past 30-35...who knows). Everything you read or hear is different. So my age leads me to the only thing I now believe in....rescuing a parrot. That's all I would consider. However, if one bonded to me for rescue...I have to be honest and admit my selfishness...I cannot lose a friend like this again. I just...I just can't.
If you have the capacity, there are broken, lonely and hurting birds out there that NEED YOU. Please consider going that route.

Never doubt this, my friends...next to my wife and kids and knowing Jesus, he was the greatest thing to ever happen to me.

Oh Damon, please accept my very deepest condolences for your awful loss. I am in tears at reading your post, it is all so very similar to the way I feel about my beloved little girlie-bird Lilly, whom I lost only just this last January. She was a tiny little lorikeet but, just like your Gray, she was my "heart and soul" bird who managed to insinuate herself into EVERYTHING, and there was not a single aspect of my life or this household where she was not the number one priority and consideration. I completely understand your heartbreak because I feel it too.

There is an unbreakable bond that you and your Gray will always share and nothing and no-one will ever replace him. You would do so much honour to him by adopting one in need, but only you will know if you feel like you could risk putting your heart on the line like that again - I totally get how that feels too. Like @wrench13, I do know that we will see our beloved ones again, and that when we do, there will be no more bitter partings forevermore.

"And if you listen with your heart, you’ll hear,
All my love around you soft and clear.
And then, when you come this way alone,
I’ll greet you with a smile and a ‘Welcome Home’."

(Mary Alice Ramish)

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
Oh Damon, please accept my very deepest condolences for your awful loss. I am in tears at reading your post, it is all so very similar to the way I feel about my beloved little girlie-bird Lilly, whom I lost only just this last January. She was a tiny little lorikeet but, just like your Gray, she was my "heart and soul" bird who managed to insinuate herself into EVERYTHING, and there was not a single aspect of my life or this household where she was not the number one priority and consideration. I completely understand your heartbreak because I feel it too.

There is an unbreakable bond that you and your Gray will always share and nothing and no-one will ever replace him. You would do so much honour to him by adopting one in need, but only you will know if you feel like you could risk putting your heart on the line like that again - I totally get how that feels too. Like @wrench13, I do know that we will see our beloved ones again, and that when we do, there will be no more bitter partings forevermore.

"And if you listen with your heart, you’ll hear,
All my love around you soft and clear.
And then, when you come this way alone,
I’ll greet you with a smile and a ‘Welcome Home’."

(Mary Alice Ramish)
I cannot thank you enough for this post, or for your understanding. I'm humbled and grateful. I suppose it's true what they say... that pain is the price we pay for that love.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
From a fellow Veteran, Thank You, for your Service to our Great Country!!

Passing of a Feathered Friend
Provided to Parrot Forum By: Steven (SailBoat), November 2016 as part of the Thread: I Love Amazons ...

“All of us feel such deep sadness when our Parrot friends die, and because they are Animals and not Humans, we are at a loss for words. Often, it is only other Parrot owners who can understand the depth of the loss that we feel with this complex, loyal, and loving creature. Resulting from such a loss, I have placed feelings and emotions into words and found verse to console the loss of my Cleo and since her, other sweet Amazons, in turn; I hope it will speak for all of you.” - Steven

You left this world so quickly. I can hardly comprehend your leaving. Yet there, in my hands, your still body rested — no longer your home. So much I have learned, so much you have taught, your purpose a full measure beyond your size. Comprehensions of your loss still a mist but yet, I know you are whole and happy - now beyond Rainbow Bridge. And so busy you must be upon your green wings, guiding angles to those of us yet to cross. With in my ear, I still hear you, those special sweet sounds of comfort and contentment:

“Do not stand by my grave and weep my friend.
I am not here. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the gentle summer rain.
When you wake in the morning hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry my friend.
I am not there. I did not die.”

My pray for you my beloved feathered friend:

“May your body nourish this earth.
May your soul find release and contentment.
May you fly high and free upon wings of spirit.
Rest in peace little green one.”

The love and tender warmth of you is a un-full-fill-able void.
I do so much thank-you for creating a space [in my heart] for another, a special place next to yours’.

In remembrance of Cleo, (Estimated) Spring 1959 - May 2003

Amazon’s Have More Love!

Sources: Cheyenne Warrior Blessing, The Amazona Society’s Forum, Steven (SailBoat)

Dear Fellow Parrot Lover, Your Dear Grey has taught you much about Love and Life that my simple words cannot fully cover. I can only say that we still feel the loss of our Cleo, now so many years ago. She inspired us to dedicate ourselves to providing older, sometimes very ill and commonly abused Amazons: Our Goal is very simple; provide those that take-over our home the knowledge that they are Loved during the twilight of their life.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I am very sorry for the loss of your Grey. Many of us here know how heartbreaking it is to lose a much loved companion parrot.
After my Yellow-crowned Amazon George passed away after 40 years with me, I knew I didn't want to be without a parrot, but it could never be another YCA simply because it wouldn't have been George. I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want another Grey but it wouldn't be hard to be tempted to adopt one in need.
I'm sure you will find comfort in all the good memories you have of your CAG.

Last edited:
OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray

Provided to Parrot Forum By: Steven (SailBoat), November 2016 as part of the Thread: I Love Amazons ...

“All of us feel such deep sadness when our Parrot friends die, and because they are Animals and not Humans, we are at a loss for words. Often, it is only other Parrot owners who can understand the depth of the loss that we feel with this complex, loyal, and loving creature. Resulting from such a loss, I have placed feelings and emotions into words and found verse to console the loss of my Cleo and since her, other sweet Amazons, in turn; I hope it will speak for all of you.” - Steven

You left this world so quickly. I can hardly comprehend your leaving. Yet there, in my hands, your still body rested — no longer your home. So much I have learned, so much you have taught, your purpose a full measure beyond your size. Comprehensions of your loss still a mist but yet, I know you are whole and happy - now beyond Rainbow Bridge. And so busy you must be upon your green wings, guiding angles to those of us yet to cross. With in my ear, I still hear you, those special sweet sounds of comfort and contentment:

When you wake in the morning hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circling flight.

I do so much thank-you for creating a space [in my heart] for another, a special place next to yours’.

Amazon’s Have More Love!

Sources: Cheyenne Warrior Blessing, The Amazona Society’s Forum, Steven (SailBoat)

Dear Fellow Parrot Lover, Your Dear Grey has taught you much about Love and Life that my simple words cannot fully cover. I can only say that we still feel the loss of our Cleo, now so many years ago. She inspired us to dedicate ourselves to providing older, sometimes very ill and commonly abused Amazons: Our Goal is very simple; provide those that take-over our home the knowledge that they are Loved during the twilight of their life. T

Amazon’s Have More Love!

Dear Fellow Parrot Lover, Your Dear Grey has taught you much about Love and Life that my simple words cannot fully cover. I can only say that we still feel the loss of our Cleo, now so many years ago. She inspired us to dedicate ourselves to providing older, sometimes very ill and commonly abused Amazons: Our Goal is very simple; provide those that take-over our home the knowledge that they are Loved during the twilight of their life.
I cannot thank you enough for this reply. I'm at a loss for words, honestly

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray

Amazon’s Have More Love!

I don't even know how to respond to this amazing post other than to thank you with all my heart.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
I'm so sorry to hear this. Deepest condolences to you.

If you don't think you can outlive another baby grey, why not adopt / rescue a grey around 20-30 years of age? From my experience, adopting a mistreated parrot has bonus: you pay much less money v.s. buying a baby, and the parrot can bond with you really fast.

I'm not buying any babies unless it's my son's reincarnation. I will be adopting badly treated parrots in the future.

Why the 2 vets said most greys don't live past 30-35?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The mid to larger Parrots that have the potential of much longer life have seen large (major) drops in that potential driven by several different medical effects. Diet as human diet switched to pre-made from home-made meals, Enriched near everything, and to the opposite end, really bad, cheap wild bird seed heavy in sunflower seed, corn and peanuts. Also in this group, a lack of activity, which includes a lack of flight. Another is the lack of sleep, as our homes become near 24/7 light and noise. The combination joins to reduce life expectancy. The list is not limited to the above items as poor weaning, no fledging and abuse are also included.

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
((sigh))
I am so sorry for the ache in your heart, for the departure of your dear CAG. That is a particular pain I am familiar with. It's been six months since my sweet Bleu traded his feathers for Forever Wings.

I didn't have nearly as long as you did with yours, but we came to the same end - congestive heart failure due to lousy diet & lack of adequate exercise prior to coming to live with me.

For what it's worth, time, love and guidance from your faith, will and do heal all that ails our broken hearts.

Remember, your beautiful wife, your incredible kids and that magical CAG have been the best things to happen to you -- thus far. You've got a LOT of Best Things Ever to Happen, still to come! I'm betting Grace will package one of them in beautiful feathers.....

God speed, God Bless and, as my 90 yr old mother always says, arms around.

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
((sigh))
I am so sorry for the ache in your heart, for the departure of your dear CAG. That is a particular pain I am familiar with. It's been six months since my sweet Bleu traded his feathers for Forever Wings.

I didn't have nearly as long as you did with yours, but we came to the same end - congestive heart failure due to lousy diet & lack of adequate exercise prior to coming to live with me.

For what it's worth, time, love and guidance from your faith, will and do heal all that ails our broken hearts.

Remember, your beautiful wife, your incredible kids and that magical CAG have been the best things to happen to you -- thus far. You've got a LOT of Best Things Ever to Happen, still to come! I'm betting Grace will package one of them in beautiful feathers.....

God speed, God Bless and, as my 90 yr old mother always says, arms around.
Thank you so much. My bird's diet was really good. But you hit a nerve there...he REFUSED exercise. I am at fault for even making it an option for him. I'm so grateful for your thoughts and words.

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
Thank you so much. My bird's diet was really good. But you hit a nerve there...he REFUSED exercise. I am at fault for even making it an option for him. I'm so grateful for your thoughts and words.
No one is at fault. He had 24 wonderful years where he got to be the center of sooooo much love and attention. How could ANY creature ask for more?

Maybe you just filled his lovin-cup to the brim and he was completely satisfied. Finished being a bird and ready to return to his true form -- you know, those other things that look after us with G I A N T wings... :sneaky:

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)

Anyway, thanks for listening
Both my parrots have been rescues. Both times I went to the rescue, wandered, looked at the birds there, and they picked me. Boo, the BFA, told me to pick him up, literally. "Hey, pick me up." Boo lived with me for 15+ years, before he died of a stroke. Scooter, the CAG, was steered to me by the rescue. Her people couldn't take care of her anymore, she was being "boarded" - for a year. In a too-small cage. Scooter took to me immediately, as they thought she would. The rescue place contacted her people and told them Scooter couldn't be boarded anymore, it was affecting her health, fortunately they had someone lined up who would love to give her a home. It took a couple of months, but they finally agreed to release her for placement. Now she runs the house, including both dogs.
Rescues just want good people, and to know they're finally home.

miki

Jun 26, 2014

Hi, Damon.

Very, very sorry about your loss. As the owner of a now 12.5 year old pet female captivity-born-and-raised Congo African Grey Parrot named Aziza, who lost a pet Noble Macaw named McGee, just 2 months short of his 20th birthday, due to unknown causes, I deeply sympathize with you. Pets are companions, and are so like and so part of the family. You've made a great point about an African Grey being a genuine companion, but Aziza, who I purchased when she was a 2.5 month baby from a pet store 45 minutes to an hour south of Boston, MA, is both a pet and a companion to me. She promotes a lot of laughs, whistles, chirps, beeps, clucks, talks and mimics the sound of a bus or truck backing up, the touchtone phone, the timer and the microwave, quite nicely. It's fun to hear.

She can also whistle the Jet gang whistle from the original 1961 film version of West Side Story (which is my all time favorite movie, hands down) quite nicely, too. That's funny to hear.

Take care--all the best, stay safe. Here's hoping that you get another African Grey Parrot soon. All the best.

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
Hi, Damon.

Very, very sorry about your loss. As the owner of a now 12.5 year old pet female captivity-born-and-raised Congo African Grey Parrot named Aziza, who lost a pet Noble Macaw named McGee, just 2 months short of his 20th birthday, due to unknown causes, I deeply sympathize with you. Pets are companions, and are so like and so part of the family. You've made a great point about an African Grey being a genuine companion, but Aziza, who I purchased when she was a 2.5 month baby from a pet store 45 minutes to an hour south of Boston, MA, is both a pet and a companion to me. She promotes a lot of laughs, whistles, chirps, beeps, clucks, talks and mimics the sound of a bus or truck backing up, the touchtone phone, the timer and the microwave, quite nicely. It's fun to hear.

She can also whistle the Jet gang whistle from the original 1961 film version of West Side Story (which is my all time favorite movie, hands down) quite nicely, too. That's funny to hear.

Take care--all the best, stay safe. Here's hoping that you get another African Grey Parrot soon. All the best.
Thank you SO much for your kind observations and words. I'm sorry for your loss as well. Also, yes...the 1961 version was a masterpiece! While I liked some things about the remake, it isn't the same. 😊👍

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Thank you SO much for your kind observations and words. I'm sorry for your loss as well. Also, yes...the 1961 version was a masterpiece! While I liked some things about the remake, it isn't the same. 😊👍
You're welcome, Damon. Thank you very much for your compliments, and your kindness and sympathy, also.

I've seen the old, original 1961 film version of West Side Story more times than I'm able and/or willing to count, including a special 60th Anniversary screening of the original 1961 film version of West Side Story, which played here in the United States for 2 nights late last fall, courtesy of fathomevents.com and Turner Classic movies, both with friends, and solo. It had been restored to its former color and glory, and, yes, it's a masterpiece of a film, which I never get tired of seeing over and over again.

I did see part of the reboot/remake of the film version of West Side Story, which will never even begin to top the old, original 1961 film version. My mom saw the 2021 film version of West Side Story on TV not that long ago, and didn't care for it, either.

miki

Jun 26, 2014
The mid to larger Parrots that have the potential of much longer life have seen large (major) drops in that potential driven by several different medical effects. Diet as human diet switched to pre-made from home-made meals, Enriched near everything, and to the opposite end, really bad, cheap wild bird seed heavy in sunflower seed, corn and peanuts. Also in this group, a lack of activity, which includes a lack of flight. Another is the lack of sleep, as our homes become near 24/7 light and noise. The combination joins to reduce life expectancy. The list is not limited to the above items as poor weaning, no fledging and abuse are also included.
Ouch! Human diets are not at all good for exotic birds, but I do feed Aziza, my pet captivity born and raised female Congo African Grey parrot a little bit of broccoli, some carrots, and even some green beans, as well. Too much human food is really not at all good for parrots, and it's not advisable to feed them so much human food.

Most Reactions

Latest posts