Why is my conure trying to mate with my hand and is regurgitating to my hand

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
Please help? Because obviously my hand can not provide her what she wants so yea she is very hormonal these days?!!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
How old is your conure?

If she starts behaving this way, I’d move my hands away from her. If you can, distracting her with something interesting may help too.

Make sure she’s getting 12 hours of sleep each night.
Are there any places she can get to that are dark and nest-like? Meaning, don’t let her on the floor and no huts in her cage!
Try to limit excess sugar in the diet too.
An overabundance of fatty sugary foods tells parrots mating season has arrived!

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
How old is your conure?

If she starts behaving this way, I’d move my hands away from her. If you can, distracting her with something interesting may help too.

Make sure she’s getting 12 hours of sleep each night.
Are there any places she can get to that are dark and nest-like? Meaning, don’t let her on the floor and no huts in her cage!
Try to limit excess sugar in the diet too.
An overabundance of fatty sugary foods tells parrots mating season has arrived!
My conure is around 1 year and 6 months old , she first bites a little my pointy finger and tries to regurgitate I remove my finger, and she goes directly to finger turning back on the finger and raises up his tail against my finger, last night I put her inside cage when this happened and tried to teach her that this was wrong… she sleeps at 11pm and wakes us all up at 7 am every day and its really getting out of hands because she is way too noisy, but during the day she also sleeps because I seen her, there is no nest like places in her cage and she will never stay on the floor, only on perch also she is moltin in a very slow rate, also she developed lately a all new set of calling sound its like a all different parrot i can see she is trying to talk something but yet i can not understand what she is clearly saying, sometimes when I have multivitamin juice for myself I let her lick the glass after im done and i think she got the sugar rush there and I will not do it anymore. I thought that it would not be a problem because it was low quantity but I think i did wrong on this… maybe a new mate for my bird ?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
My conure is around 1 year and 6 months old , she first bites a little my pointy finger and tries to regurgitate I remove my finger, and she goes directly to finger turning back on the finger and raises up his tail against my finger, last night I put her inside cage when this happened and tried to teach her that this was wrong… she sleeps at 11pm and wakes us all up at 7 am every day and its really getting out of hands because she is way too noisy, but during the day she also sleeps because I seen her, there is no nest like places in her cage and she will never stay on the floor, only on perch also she is moltin in a very slow rate, also she developed lately a all new set of calling sound its like a all different parrot i can see she is trying to talk something but yet i can not understand what she is clearly saying, sometimes when I have multivitamin juice for myself I let her lick the glass after im done and i think she got the sugar rush there and I will not do it anymore. I thought that it would not be a problem because it was low quantity but I think i did wrong on this… maybe a new mate for my bird ?
It sounds like she's only getting 8 hours of sleep each night - birds need 12 hours. Sleeping longer will help reduce hormones. You can also try giving her some dried chamomile flowers.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I agree with @onamom
She definitely needs more sleep.

I also wanted to point out, I wouldn’t recommend putting her in the cage as punishment, rather set her on a back of chair or a play stand and ignore her for a full minute, don’t even look at her.

If you use the cage as a punishment, then your bird will not want to be in there. Its cage is its home, not a time-out area.

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
It sounds like she's only getting 8 hours of sleep each night - birds need 12 hours. Sleeping longer will help reduce hormones. You can also try giving her some dried chamomile flowers.
Ok I will try the dried chamomile thanks for advice

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
I agree with @onamom
She definitely needs more sleep.

I also wanted to point out, I wouldn’t recommend putting her in the cage as punishment, rather set her on a back of chair or a play stand and ignore her for a full minute, don’t even look at her.

If you use the cage as a punishment, then your bird will not want to be in there. Its cage is its home, not a time-out area.
Ok I will try to put her more early to sleep.
As it is for the cage I only put her inside only when im not home, sometimes I even take her with me to work, she rarely stays in her cage and is a very big cage filled with toys and mirrors, but when she sees me or even hear me from across the room she wont stop loud screaming she bounces from left to right until i get her outside of cage, thats why i put her there like some sort of punishment , she only poops strictly on that cage no where else, she just doesn’t like to be inside a cage I guess because I keep it in my living room very clean… anyways thanks for the help and knowledge you share guys <3 my conure and me really appreciate it

Most Reactions