Why is my Indian ring neck suddenly tired and fluffed up?

Mako101

Aug 22, 2022
Parrots
Indian ring neck
Hey everyone, so I got my very first Indian ring neck 2 weeks ago, heā€™s around 6-7 months Iā€™d say and heā€™s the first parrot I own after previously owning other smaller birds. Iā€™ve done a lot of research regarding this bird however canā€™t seem to find an answer anywhere for this particular subject. So on Saturday the 20th of aug, heā€™s been let out in the room to stretch himself a little, heā€™s been climbing on my tables and chairs and hopping around his cage, on the same night when it was bed time he slept rather early I think itā€™s cause of the energy he used in the day, so the next day (Sunday) I had to do some shopping earlier in the morning so I left around 8am but didnā€™t open the curtains, my parrot usually wakes up when he see sees light, I got home around 1-2pm and he was still sleeping, he woke up after I un drew the curtains. So since Sunday heā€™s pretty much been really puffed up and Iā€™d say tired cause heā€™s eyes are opening and closing. Heā€™s eating fine and Iā€™ve seen him preening through out the day, but the energy isnā€™t there like it was before. He isnā€™t tame but he isnā€™t exactly scared of me that much either. I donā€™t know if could be cause he slept too much, if heā€™s feeling bored, or if hes ill. Heā€™s a slim parrot so seeing him puffed up like that pretty much the whole day has me concerned but at the same time it might not be serious and I havenā€™t owned a parrot before so I wouldnā€™t know about this particular thing. Someone said it could be cause heā€™s moulting, which Iā€™m not sure about because Iā€™ve only seeing a a few like 3 or few body feathers in his cage and thatā€™s about it, but Iā€™m pretty sure he canā€™t lose energy from losing tiny body feathers. Any suggestions? Is this normal for a bird thatā€™s moved into a new home? Heā€™s been acting the same expect heā€™s super puffy and petty much tired since Sunday. First picture is of him on Saturday, not puffy moving around from place to place and second picture I took today. Itā€™s been two days. Any advice highly appreciated

Attachments

• 0D4CFB34-671E-4D4F-B357-CA2A5A68660D.jpeg
    0D4CFB34-671E-4D4F-B357-CA2A5A68660D.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 81
  • F33FEEDB-D382-43F4-B3A4-992C88053EF3.jpeg
    F33FEEDB-D382-43F4-B3A4-992C88053EF3.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 80

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
If he is sleeping a lot and puffed up, I would recommend taking him to see an avian vet, as he could be sick. Do you have an avian vet yet?

Here is a link where you may be able to find a vet in your area:

Avian Vet Resources

He is beautiful, and I hope he is okay.

Most Reactions