Why is my IRN biting himself?

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
3 year old indian ringneck
Hey,
i hope you and your bird's have been well
So basically i suddenly noticed that my ringneck has been seemingly bitting his nails and yelling i am not sure if this is normal or if i should take him to an avian vet he always yelled but he never did it this dramatically.
And i am honestly concered so i would appreciate some reassurance if this is normal Otherwise i'd take him to a vet asap
(Going to attach a video of him doing what i mentioned)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    6.4 MB

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have 2 birds with similar activity.
Bella my CAG bites at her nails and sometimes pulls them.
I have a Cockatiel that screams and fights with his own foot.

The biting never worried me. But the screaming keeps me wondering if his foot might be in pain.
He is a relatively young bird so……

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Mine does that too, almost every day, actually - he has a whole routine of pretending to bite his perch or a toy and making silly noises the whole time, in between grooming his toes or his feathers.

Sometimes he'll do this if he wants me to go away, haha - but usually he's just having fun talking and being a goof.

To me it looks normal and not like he's in pain or bothered by his foot :)

I'm glad you ask lots of questions, it's really neat to see what is "ringneck" behavior mine does, and it's really fun to see your videos!

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
Mine does that too, almost every day, actually - he has a whole routine of pretending to bite his perch or a toy and making silly noises the whole time, in between grooming his toes or his feathers.

Sometimes he'll do this if he wants me to go away, haha - but usually he's just having fun talking and being a goof.

To me it looks normal and not like he's in pain or bothered by his foot :)

I'm glad you ask lots of questions, it's really neat to see what is "ringneck" behavior mine does, and it's really fun to see your videos!
Thank you i am glad to hear that i am not the only one who has a ringneck that does that, appreciate it!
i hope u and ur bird's have a good day!! :)

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
I have 2 birds with similar activity.
Bella my CAG bites at her nails and sometimes pulls them.
I have a Cockatiel that screams and fights with his own foot.

The biting never worried me. But the screaming keeps me wondering if his foot might be in pain.
He is a relatively young bird so……
I am also worried about the foot pain thingy, but he didn't do it expect for this one time which i am happy about if it consists then i'll consider taking him to a vet i hope u and ur bird's bave a good day!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
His nails look awfully short - are you trimming them like that? Normally parrot claws/nails are pin point sharp.

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
His nails look awfully short - are you trimming them like that? Normally parrot claws/nails are pin point sharp.
Well i took him to thr pet shop recently and the emoloyee suggested that we trim them because they were really long that was about 2 days ago so yes i recently trimmed them - should i keep them trimmed or is that bad?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good thing you asked. Trimming of any thing on a parrot should only be done when there is a need and then done by someone qualified. Claws or beaks have blood supplies and nerves that run thru them. Claws, if they need trimming because the parrot is not active enough or presented with climbing opportunities with that naturally wear them, are carefully trimmed enough to take the tip off but not enough to cut into those nerves and blood supply. It ain't much! Beaks are even more sensitive and beak trimming really should be done by a qualified Avian vet or their technician.

Aside from the physical trim, most parrots do NOT like having trimming of any type, no thank you, hard pass. Why subject them to un-needed stress.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe his toes are sore from the trim?

Having your toenails cut too close is an unpleasant feeling and probably most people would bite their toes in that case. If they could.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
My avian vet told me trimming is unnecessary and most owners do it because they don't like the claws on their skin. I like it though.

Mine will occasionally wake up abruptly and give a few caws on his way to his foot, but he does not actually bite it. It's always the same one and the long toe is bent up slightly at the end, so I think he either has some joint pain or is having a traumatic memory. I do not know if it's a birth defect or he got injured when he was younger. He does often preen his feet which is just normal cleaning.

I noticed in your video it looks like your IRN is pulling hard on his neck feathers. Mine does not do that but he does sometime give fast repeating scratches.

Most Reactions

Latest posts