Wild Fire Smoke and GCC lungs

fjordandforest

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek named Scrimp
Hey everyone! I am new to the parrot world, I adopted a GCC named Scrimp about 2 months ago. I like in Alaska and we currently have wicked bad smoke from fires. I have a med grade air scrubber running next to his cage on high, the HRV on high and everything closed up tight. If anyone has any other suggestions or tips Iā€™d greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!
532ECA3C-EF48-411A-87F1-780F10971325.jpeg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You have targeted the correct tools to clean the air entering your home. Clearly you know this, but assure that you keep watch and be ready to move if the fire continues in your direction. Check your auto, newer autos will have cabin air filters that will help if you need to move. If not keep the fresh air system use to a minimum until you move out of the smoke area.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome! I was right where you are a few months ago and it can feel like a lot to get right all at once, can't it?

The high quality air purifier is a great tool, and keeping windows closed is always a must. Depending on your window construction and humidity and whether you're likely to have issues with mold, increasing humidity can help respiratory health in general - my vet has recommended this in the past for my non-bird pets too (cat with lung issues). I've also put wet towels across the bottom of the windows where mine had little gaps - basically anywhere that I feel a draft in winter, I block with wet towels in smoky conditions.

I already had a $$$$ air purifier when I got Cotton, but I ended up buying an air quality monitor that I can move from room to room and find out where the best spot is. My neighbors had a garage fire a few months ago, and I had to have some work done on my house -- it was so helpful to my peace of mind to know the room Cotton was in had no particulates floating around.

Other more random things friends in fire country have told me over the years -
I don't have central air conditioning, but if you do it's important to make sure it's recirculating and not pulling air in from outside.
If you're in a house with a furnace, making sure your furnace filter is changed, and changing both furnace filters and air purifier filters after fire season (or more often during fire season depending on the year).

I love your windows, by the way! So pretty even if the sky isn't at the moment :)

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It sounds like you are getting good advice on the way to minimize smoke in the house, so I thought I'd mention something else.
Please have a to-go bag ready for Scrimp. (I love that name!)
It should include their food, extra dishes, toys - anything you think will make it easier on Scrimp if you have to evacuate.
I'm not sure how quickly you could get Scrimp out of the cage in an emergency, but a pillowcase is so easy to use. You can reach in with the pillowcase inside out and your hand inside it, and just place it over your bird and turn it right side out again once they are clear of the cage. It can then be knotted and used to get them out of the house.
We have so many birds that we have a pillowcase underneath every cage.

I hope your smoke clears soon, we have also gone through that and it was awful.

OP
fjordandforest

fjordandforest

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek named Scrimp
Thanks everyone so much! I do have the HRV on recirculate-we wonā€™t have to evacuate Iā€™m sure-we are spread out here so even with 6k acres burning itā€™s not running into people. I didnā€™t think about this summer problem tho (we have smoke frequently) currently at 500ppm just keeping everything close up. I will see if I can boost the humidity thatā€™s great advice. Thanks everyone-Iā€™m so glad this community exists!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just cause it caught my eye: What is with the high volume /frequency of Street /Walkway lighting. Kind of looks like what is found in areas of common dense fog.

Most Reactions

Latest posts