Wild green parrots in my ‘hood!

kjcallaway13

Jan 12, 2022
Hi there - I don’t own any birds but I have a question. I live in south Texas and there are apparently many flocks of wild green parrots around the city. I was sitting on my couch the other day and heard what sounded like hail bouncing on my car and driveway. When I looked out the window, I could see acorns bouncing in my grass, from my car, and off the driveway. My first thought was a bunch of angry squirrels on a rampage (I recently had my huge oak tree trimmed back). I got outside and was amazed to see a tree full of these parrots! They were pulling acorns off and dropping them; some half-chewed, even.

I guess my question is: is this normal? I’ve never seen these birds in my neighborhood before, much less in my tree! They squawked a lot and flew to a neighbor’s oak tree, then swooped back over to mine. I had to move my car out from under the tree because it was getting bombarded! Has anyone else observed this? Do they actually eat the acorns? I never saw any of them on the ground picking up what they had dropped.

I know nothing about birds so I’m completely mystified.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Im pretty sure thay are quackers?
Do they look like this?
CDF32C5A-4A9D-446F-B77F-9B0564A7277F.jpeg

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Wild parrots in the US are normally quakers:
Interesting Facts About Quaker Parrots

Though sometimes plain parakeets
Plain Parakeet Health, Personality, Sounds and Colors - PetGuide

Or nanday conures
Nanday Conure - Care, Food & Profile - VIVO Pets

As for the question itself, I don't really know, but I don't think you should be concerned about wild parrots. They might actually eat the acorns but I don't really think so

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We have a large Quaker Parrot population right here in New York City, I see them all the time outside my son's appartement. Keep in mind that they have been here for years and years and they are doing fine, despite the cold winters. Last night it hit 17degF and 3 years ago there were a few nights where the temps went down to like 5 degF !!
South Texas must be like a 5 star hotel to them!

OP
K

kjcallaway13

Jan 12, 2022
Wild parrots in the US are normally quakers:
Interesting Facts About Quaker Parrots

Though sometimes plain parakeets
View attachment 34160
Or nanday conures
Nanday Conure - Care, Food & Profile - VIVO Pets

As for the question itself, I don't really know, but I don't think you should be concerned about wild parrots. They might actually eat the acorns but I don't really think so
Oh gosh, I don’t really know the difference. I’m not sure what they do with the acorns aside from drop them on my car lol….I have seen chewed up acorns on the ground, though. I wonder how the squirrels feel about that?

OP
K

kjcallaway13

Jan 12, 2022
We have a large Quaker Parrot population right here in New York City, I see them all the time outside my son's appartement. Keep in mind that they have been here for years and years and they are doing fine, despite the cold winters. Last night it hit 17degF and 3 years ago there were a few nights where the temps went down to like 5 degF !!
South Texas must be like a 5 star hotel to them!
It’s so weird, because I have never seen them in my neighborhood until a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if people are getting rid of oak trees in other parts of the city and it’s driving them outward?
As far as weather, if they like the tropics, I’m sure they’re very happy lol…these past 2 weeks we’ve gone from near-freezing to 75-80 degrees from day to day.

Cecile

Aug 30, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Parrots
I have two rescued Lovebird, Tippi and Al.
Hi there - I don’t own any birds but I have a question. I live in south Texas and there are apparently many flocks of wild green parrots around the city. I was sitting on my couch the other day and heard what sounded like hail bouncing on my car and driveway. When I looked out the window, I could see acorns bouncing in my grass, from my car, and off the driveway. My first thought was a bunch of angry squirrels on a rampage (I recently had my huge oak tree trimmed back). I got outside and was amazed to see a tree full of these parrots! They were pulling acorns off and dropping them; some half-chewed, even.

I guess my question is: is this normal? I’ve never seen these birds in my neighborhood before, much less in my tree! They squawked a lot and flew to a neighbor’s oak tree, then swooped back over to mine. I had to move my car out from under the tree because it was getting bombarded! Has anyone else observed this? Do they actually eat the acorns? I never saw any of them on the ground picking up what they had dropped.

I know nothing about birds so I’m completely mystified.
Hi. Arizona has a new population of rosy lovebirds.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
They are very playful birds.
Probably having a food fight.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Heh, I’m a little jealous. All we have here are robins, crows, jays, and similar. And it’s finally spring in the PNW so they’ve been a delight with their all day, every day mating songs, lol!! I had to start closing my windows so I could sleep in.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
In Texas? Probably Quakers. There’s a program run by Austin fish and wildlife department to adopt out baby Quaker parakeets taken from nests that are causing electrical issues (built around transformers).

Most Reactions

Latest posts