Will covering my birds at night trigger hormonal behavior?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
With the increase of daylight I started covering my bird cage again to help provide a darkened environment for better sleep. There cage is near a window with a translucent shade where light comes in.

I recently heard from a few people online and on YouTube that covering birds at night can cause nesting behavior. Is this true? I am not in a position where I can darken the room without it. Obviously during the colder months I won’t need to cover them. I am just trying to provide the best sleep environment.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I have always covered my parrots at night, all year long. I have not noticed anything realted to that. Mating season comes regardless of covering. The day night cycle is what is usually attributed to the start and stop of it. Some folks use the natural cycle, others like my self have a pretty strict 12/12 hr day nite schedule.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I don't think covering at night is an issue, for most birds at least, covering during day on the other hand may encourage hormones, but you don't do that, right?

Agree with above, hormone season comes no matter what, even if you do your best to avoid it.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I don't think covering at night is an issue, for most birds at least, covering during day on the other hand may encourage hormones, but you don't do that, right?

Agree with above, hormone season comes no matter what, even if you do your best to avoid it.
No I only cover them at bedtime. I am trying to allow 12 hours of sleep. Ny Quaker chirps at 6:30am before I even uncover them so I cover them at around 6:30 in the evening.

Yeah my girls are early robbed, early to rise.

Right now they are using an old white sheet but I ordered them a bird cover that is black and is an actual cage cover. I hope they like it.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We have amazons and honestly covering Sammy’s cage for a full 12 hours is probably the main reason why he’s gone from what his previous owners described as a “mean old bird” to a relative sweetheart who begged even the vet for pets. They need their sleep! The cover ensures they have an easier time getting it.

I am not a morning person and both my boys seem to enjoy being up later (the sun sets well after 8pm where I live this time of year) so I cover ours at 9pm and wake them with breakfast at 9am.

Most Reactions