will my quaker die is she gets separated

vs50

Sep 11, 2021
Parrots
quaker
I have a male quaker parrot, he is 2 years old and I have been wanting to get a female. I found a female online but the person was selling both female and male so I was just wondering if she would miss her current partner and die if I only bought the female off of her or would she be fine since I already have a quaker

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very difficult question to answer without knowing circumstances and degree of pair's attachment. Generally, the answer is "no" as survival instinct more powerful than loss of mate. Gracious of you to be concerned, best discussed with seller and learning more about quakers.

Is your intent to breed or simply desiring companion for your male?

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
I agree with Scott that dying from get separated is a rare event. Most likely she will carry on and try to approach your male quaker.

Nevertheless, if you intend to breed them, it might not be a good idea to buy a female that is already bonded with another bird, to pair with your single bird. She might not like the new companion because she miss her previous mate. There are species that can switch mates quite easy, other not so.

Budgies are kind of easy to remate, lovebirds just taught me that some females can never settle with another mate after they have chose a partner and got separated. I don´t know about quakers, if you find out please let me know.

Most Reactions

Latest posts