Willow’s spring thread

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow is very screechy today and I have a migraine so he’s not getting the attention he would like. It’s frustrating, I’d imagine for both of us. Poor little guys.

Last edited:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Willow is very screechy today and I have a migraine so he’s not getting the attention he would like. It’s frustrating, I’d imagine for both of us. Poor little guys.
Maybe it was the phase of the moon or some sort of International Screech Day for Quaker parrots. Ralph was screechy today too. As usual, my threats to donate him to the zoo didn't slow down the screeching.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe it was the phase of the moon or some sort of International Screech Day for Quaker parrots. Ralph was screechy today too. As usual, my threats to donate him to the zoo didn't slow down the screeching.
I’d imagine offering to make a tiny Quaker parakeet fajita didn’t work, either?

Willow just wanted to be played with. But I felt better at night and Willow was sleeping and would not come out. Oh well. I will make it up tomorrow. Weird how those migraines knock the socks off me; I knew if I took Willow out during the headache that I’d want to sleep and he wouldn’t be impressed.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
When my old YCA George used to have a screaming fest, I used to say that there would be roast parrot for dinner. :D When he was being a troublemaker in some other way, I would tell him he was going to be donated to the zoo like I do with Ralph. George always laughed at me.
The screeching usually is a demand for attention in some way. I suspect that yesterday Ralph was screeching to get me to spend the whole day standing by his cage watching him build with his sticks instead of doing housework and getting dinner ready for the parrots and me.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ah, Ralph has a big stick nest?

I haven’t tried again to give Willow chopsticks. I have a huge stash left over from Lucy. She liked to build but slowed down a lot in her last two years.

I hope Willow doesn’t understand the “fajita” threat. That doesn’t happen often.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I don't suppose that Willow takes your fajita remarks any more seriously than Ralph takes my threats about the zoo. :)
Ralph doesn't build an actual nest. He has thin wooden dowels cut to about 10 inches or so long. He likes to arrange and rearrange them in different parts of his cage. That requires my help. When he finishes one construction project and wants to start another, he squawks for me to pull the sticks apart. If I gave him enough sticks to get a good start on a real Quaker nest, he would toss some on the floor. He doesn't like having too many at once. As he sometimes says himself, he's a "funny Quaker." 😁

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That sounds like Lucy. She would build a n arch out of sticks, usually. Don’t know if that was supposed to be an entrance hole? Or if the big stick nests have that at their base or inside. But the sticks were tight and under lots of tension and if you pulled one out sometimes the structure would snap or ping at you.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph manages to fit some of his sticks in tightl too, and they can be hard to pull apart. His structures aren't as well designed as Lucy's were. Ralph's are more of a jumble of sticks going in different directions. Sometimes they're at the cage bottom, sometimes higher up, left side, right side, back or front. I guess he likes variety.:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts