Window Caulking toxicity question

Greenandgrey

Nov 17, 2020
Hello!

I wasn't sure where to post this but i'm hoping someone could help me out with this- I have a Green Cheek Conure, African Grey and Budgie along with a bunny. I was just notified Friday my apartment is coming to replace the windows in my kitchen wher my AC unit is and the bathroom.

Does anyone know for how long caulking is toxic and whether it travels easily outside of the rooms its in? Can I just shut the door and open the new windows? Will air purifiers be enough to take it out of the air quickly? Can I still use the AC while the caulk is drying? I can shut the door to the bathroom open the window and put a towel underneath the door so i'm less concerned about that. Its the window in the kitchen that worries me since I cant open it because of the AC. I can open the window in the living room across from the kitchen however which is where the birds usually are.

I have 3 HEPA filter air purifiers, and so my plan is to move everyone into my room with an air purifier, shut the door, put a towel underneath and open the window and keep them in there until its been 24 hours since installation.

Sorry for the long post, this has me in a bit if a panic and I deeply appreciate any help anyone can provide.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I just had new windows installed last year, 18 of them. They use a water based caulking compound, it didn't really have much of a smell. we opend the windows, it was mid-spring last year.

OP
G

Greenandgrey

Nov 17, 2020
I just had new windows installed last year, 18 of them. They use a water based caulking compound, it didn't really have much of a smell. we opend the windows, it was mid-spring last year.
Tha k you! I dont know much about caulking, maybe my landlord will use a water based caulk too. I'll find out.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The water based window caulking is pretty much standard as it costs less than what else is available and cleans-up /drys quickly with near no smell. As my good friend Wrench states, open the windows for a few hours is just good practice.

OP
G

Greenandgrey

Nov 17, 2020
The water based window caulking is pretty much standard as it costs less than what else is available and cleans-up /drys quickly with near no smell. As my good friend Wrench states, open the windows for a few hours is just good practice.
Thank you! Should I be able to bring the birds back into living room by that same evening? I guess they're starting at 9:30am. And is it safe to run AC in the new windows once its in?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would think its fine to start using the A/C right after the window is caulked and sealed. Caulking is resistant to the minor vibrations an A/C unit makes. Its stretchy for a long long time.

Most Reactions