Wing drooping

prince

May 25, 2021
Parrots
Lyonya the Indian Ringneck
Hello! New user and a minor here. :)

My IRN seems to have droopy wings. Is it because he's moulting? He's been dropping feathers lately, so I figure he is about to start. Or could it be he's relaxed? Did he hurt his wings? Two days ago he fell off a perch in his cage, and he caught himself on the cage bars, but he's been acting a little different since. I tried looking elsewhere on the internet but I couldn't find anything IRN specific. Please help :(. Thank you! Here's a photo https://imgur.com/22DZDqA

I want to take him to an avian vet if it's serious, but I'll need to convince my mother since I'm not an adult. I've had him since December of 2020, so he still won't let me touch him much.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
If you can visibly see a difference then it's time to take him to the Vet. Some other condition may have caused him to fall off his perch (which is not normal for a healthy bird). He may no longer be able to hide whatever is going on with him.

Best case is that he's fine and you have to do some extra chores to help pay for the vet visit.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your IRN! It is possible to have injury from fall off perch, does this happen frequently? Might also be coincident with molt as birds are rather low energy. Is appetite and pooping normal? If in doubt, a visit with avian vet is best.

OP
P

prince

May 25, 2021
Parrots
Lyonya the Indian Ringneck
Thank you :)

This is the first time he has slipped from a perch. His pooping and appetite is normal. He’s just woken up and his wings still seem to be drooping a bit, but he’s flying normally.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
How long are his nails? Are they longer than normal, perhaps curled? Tryna think of easy to fix explanation for falling off perch.

Do you have a postage or cooking scale measuring grams? Weight loss is one of the first signs of illness. You could compare current weight with that of typical IRN and keep a record every few days to spot trend. If he's notably underweight, that might help sway your mother to consider vet visit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts