Wing issue

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Cozy is on her 3rd molt of the year. Weā€™ve only had her since March. She is approximately 8-9 months old.no idea why the molts keep coming. This molt she has lost a lot of big feathers. Since we got her sheā€™s had some skin showing through under her wing (sheā€™s been to an avian vet for checkups and everything has been fine). But over the last few days I noticed that the bald spot has gotten bigger and redder. You probably canā€™t tell from these pics just how red it actually is - we all know how difficult it can be to get a tiny parrot to stand still for a photo. Any guesses? Has your parrot ever had something like this?

Her diet isnā€™t perfect yet (she eats Dr Harveyā€™s seed mix - still trying to get her to eat pellets, fresh veggies daily, some fresh herbs now and again, and a small treat of Lafabers fruit avi cakes as recommended by my avian vet to help in the transition from seed to pellets).

Thanks!

834D8586-9AC6-44BF-B6FB-B0E341169477.jpeg

AF8C0AF1-7120-4678-AC8E-B201B757314E.jpeg

6325248C-E764-4B55-A26D-4CB70F96953E.png

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thatā€™s a problem. Looks to me like sheā€™s chewing or rubbing that spot. Should have a vet figure out why sheā€™s doing this.

(Writing left handed and petting bird with right hand. Sorry.)

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Thatā€™s a problem. Looks to me like sheā€™s chewing or rubbing that spot. Should have a vet figure out why sheā€™s doing this.

(Writing left handed and petting bird with right hand. Sorry.)
Hmmm now after doing some more research, Iā€™m wondering if this isnā€™t her bald spot at all but rather a blood feather situation of some sort?? I saw some photos of other budgies with blood feathers that were ā€œbleeding internallyā€. Is that a thing? Iā€™ve sent a message to my avian vet but just throwing ideas at the wall in the meantime to see if something will stick to bring my anxiety level down. Oh how we worry about our little feathered babies ā˜¹ļø

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am not sure. My first look at the photos it seemed really quite red. Thatā€™s a classic place to strike wings on the cage, too.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I have had a budgie that had bald spots behind her wings but never stumbled upon this situation, while waiting for the vet's response you could put some corn flour behind the injured wing( to stop the bleeding) if you do not have that then use flour but corn flour is much better I have tried this before when my bird plucked her pin feather.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
How is Cosi doing?

Iā€™ve seen birds bleed under the skin and this is not how it looks. Also I canā€™t imagine a blood feather bleeding like that.

I wonder if she could have hit her wing. Lucy scraped a wing on something and thatā€™s exactly the area on the wing she injured.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
How is Cosi doing?

Iā€™ve seen birds bleed under the skin and this is not how it looks. Also I canā€™t imagine a blood feather bleeding like that.

I wonder if she could have hit her wing. Lucy scraped a wing on something and thatā€™s exactly the area on the wing she injured.
Thanks for checking in!

So the bright red is still there but itā€™s not actively bleeding, which for me is hard to actually tell so my husband has been examining her too. there is no blood on any of her surrounding feathers, no blood on her beak (and she has preened in that area), no blood in her cage. Itā€™s driving me crazy though cuz it just doesnā€™t look right to me. The avian vet said as long as sheā€™s not actively bleeding to let her be. The good news is that the last few days she has been super energetic, playful, chattery, taking less naps than normal (Iā€™ve been upping her protein a little bit and hand feeding her veggies to make sure she actually eats some instead of playing with them to help her through her molting). Sheā€™s flapping her wings like normal too (sheā€™s not a great or big flier yet as her wings are still growing in from being clipped). So I guess I just have to keep an eye on it?

Most Reactions