Wing lifting

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
probably some form of affection or hormones--- pet on the head and neck only. Petting elsewhere sexually stimulates them, and yes..they like it, but it should not be indulged.

OP
L

Letticeknibs

Jan 1, 2021
I only ever pet his head and neck. He does get super affectionate though. The sticking my cheek under his wing, rubbing his beak on me and fluffing up and putting his butt in my face. I never pet him anywhere but the head. Sometimes I play with his feet when he flips on his back to be playful. I donā€™t try to encourage the behavior but I am not sure what to do when he behaves this way. I donā€™t want to put him away because that just makes me feel bad. I just want to make sure Iā€™m not causing unhealthy behavior. Iā€™m not sure the best way to deal with this. I donā€™t want a sexually frustrated bird.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I only ever pet his head and neck. He does get super affectionate though. The sticking my cheek under his wing, rubbing his beak on me and fluffing up and putting his butt in my face. I never pet him anywhere but the head. Sometimes I play with his feet when he flips on his back to be playful. I donā€™t try to encourage the behavior but I am not sure what to do when he behaves this way. I donā€™t want to put him away because that just makes me feel bad. I just want to make sure Iā€™m not causing unhealthy behavior. Iā€™m not sure the best way to deal with this. I donā€™t want a sexually frustrated bird.

If you think it may be sexual, change the conversation-- do something else fun with your bird that doesn't have to do with touching but is still fun/engaging. Don't react to it/indulge it by sticking your cheek under the wing- definitely would stop touching/holding him when you see this behavior (not in a mean way, but think...Doug, the dog on Up : "SQUIRREL!"..ONLY, you have to be Doug the dog lol- The goal is to change to mood/vibe and disrupt the moment in a friendly and sort of abrupt way lol!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUXXzN26zg"]SQUIRREL!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Naw...
All my burds wing lift hello, and all the quakers rub my face briefly with theirs .

NOODLES , do cockatoos wing lift hello?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Naw...
All my burds wing lift hello, and all the quakers rub my face briefly with theirs .

NOODLES , do cockatoos wing lift hello?

Mine does it when she wants to be petted under there- which is sexual for her, so I don't do it (other than for a second every so often just so that the vet can get her to do it still). Maybe I am picturing something different- for mine, for mine, it isn't a greeting because it happens when we've already been hanging out lol-- So I doubt she's saying hi to me in the middle of our hang-out sessions haha--She does it because she wants me to pet under them. Now, if she is surprised and playing, she will spread her wings out and hold them there while reacting, but what I am thinking of is like a close-to body wing lift that can be one sided or on both sides, but closer to the body.

I was picturing a specific type of wing lift when I responded...but there are different types, so I could be totally wrong.

The bird is also rubbing his beak and putting his butt in OP's face when this happens

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I thought said just leaned against her. Nit butt in face, lol fir sure thst is sexual

Most Reactions

Latest posts