Wings beak trimming

Viki

Dec 10, 2019
I had taken my 7 year old Congo African grey to the vet to have her beak and and wings clipped. I have used this vet before. However this time the vet did a horrific job. I also asked for a DNA test which they said they would try her nails (which did not need done) but was unable to get enough blood. She stressed my parrot and instead of trimming her beak she squared it off so it has no point and she only has 3 nails that were not touched the others are way short so she is not too stable on her feet. I don’t know why she tried all those times for blood I was horrified when I saw what she did. I called the vet to complain because I didn’t see her eating a lot because of her beak... the vet said she would still be able to eat... my question is how long will it take for her nails to grow back and for her beak to become a point. I don’t want to take her to another vet (I will from now on found an excellent one) yet because of what she’s been through. I’m heart broken that they did this to her. Fed her baby bird food this morning...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry your Vet provided such poor service.
Never have a Parrot's beak trimmed unless there is a clear medical reason that has been identified, which is causing the beak to be longer (greater than normal growth).

It may take several days for your Parrot to begin activity eating again. The square cut of the beak is not uncommon, not the best, but not uncommon. Your Parrot will be seen working this area over the next several weeks and with the natural growth of the bill, the point will be seen again. Time line: a few weeks to a month.

An Avian Professional will greatly limit how much bill surface they will remove. This based on the extensive nerve mass at the contact (growth point) between the skull and the beak, which have contact along the horn (top) of the upper bill.
A sensitivity transfer line, if you will, from near the tip to the nerve mass.

Nails grow at a fairly constant rate and depending on how short they had been clipped, it could be from a few weeks to several months.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts