Wings Clipped...Continued

Jasmine426

Dec 26, 2020
I wonder if I should have wings clipped? Give avicalm more time to work?

Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Re: Wings clipped

I :yellow1:think I will take him to have his wings clipped.

Just cause, or is there a reason for such a choice?

- If your Parrot has not fully fledged, it is likely this will eliminate a step in their develop, which greatly limit the development of their cardiovascular system and limits them mentally as the window for learning to fly is limited and the bird may never try in the future.
- If you elect to have your Parrot clipped, you need to take your Parrot to an Avian Medical Professional and requisition a trim to allow a flighted glide to the floor and not turn your Parrot into the flight abilities of a Dropped Rock.
- If you choose to do it on the cheap, it is possible that the individual doing the cutting will injure the Parrot by cutting the muscle, bone or body.

There are huge differences between species regarding the number of feathers to cut!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would make sure your bird has flown etc before clipping (unless it is a serious safety issue)-- as stated above...You know how they talk about "tummy time" for human infants? That's a similar idea for birds. I'm not saying you will have a bird with issues if you clip young, but it can mess with their ability to learn to fly etc and development in general (as stated by Sailboat).

Last edited:

Most Reactions