Winnie training

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
Winnie is pretty good at recall which is great! But One problem i am having is finding a treat that she likes for a reward! I have tried so many different nuts and seeds and she just drops them on the ground when I give them to her. So as a result she is getting less motivated to train. I tried using praise as a reward and stroking her head but that doesn’t seem to be working. I realise it is early days as I have only had her for a few weeks and she is still weaning too but does anyone have any tips to motivate her?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
A reward doesn;t have to be food, it can be a scritch or toy, whatever she'll work for. But she's great at recall, good job!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
you might try bits of fruit also. It could also be that YOU - and being with you - are the reinforcer here and don’t need further reinforcement.

Consider using a clicker for training as well. Helps keep communication clearer.

You might also take a bit of a break. She’s brand new to your home and still weaning. This can be a bit of a stressful time that could hamper many birds motivations. Maybe ease up on serious training for a little while and just enjoy being together. Once she finds her feet a bit more, pick it back up and see where you go.

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
you might try bits of fruit also. It could also be that YOU - and being with you - are the reinforcer here and don’t need further reinforcement.

Consider using a clicker for training as well. Helps keep communication clearer.

You might also take a bit of a break. She’s brand new to your home and still weaning. This can be a bit of a stressful time that could hamper many birds motivations. Maybe ease up on serious training for a little while and just enjoy being together. Once she finds her feet a bit more, pick it back up and see where you go.
I will try the fruit!
I was planning on clicker training but wasn't sure if I could use it without using a food reward, but i will start using it!
I will stop the hard training for now and let her settle in a bit more, thank you for the advice!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try shelled pine nuts , available in any supermarket. Cut in half or thirds. My Salty would paint my house for a pine nut.

Most Reactions