Wishing could adopt another parrot

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
Dipsey and Charlie the cockatiels
I miss having Frodo and not sure I can be without an indoor bird. MY cockatiels are outside but also very old, so really could lose them any day now which is scary, so just enjoy three days I do have with them. I thought would have Frodo longer though. I mean he was around 12ish maybe? like not really old considering the 30-40ish years he could have had.

I always spent my own money etc on my birds and always cared for them. Parents just seem to be like nope to more even if It not effect them so much. Have been so many parrots come up that need homes too.

I have my puppy at least. But could easily adopt another parrot. I like animals more than people so like does kinda feel lonely without Frodo. I not really get any straight answers out my parents about why not either. I mean it made sense when I had ten birds but now is only two so dunno.

I cant pet Charlie as he is old and grumpy. He also originally was got from bird rescue by a family friend so he hates hands/is scared of them. I adopted him from a family friend after he didn't get along with their other Tiel Ozzie. Dipsey will take cuddles but he is unpredictable and can be cuddly and nice one second and bitey the next. Frodo just always wanted to snuggle I guess and rub against my cheek. But yeah also room too tidy and free of bird seed. I not like it, rather seed be flicked everywhere and getting it stuck in my toes.

I mean one bird I do want is a Galah but until I not so close to neighbors that probably a nope. But so many other birds I would adopt if was allowed. Kinda unsure what will happen since cant move out for a long time and want another parrot. o.o

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm sorry to hear about Frodo.. just remember not all birds will be like him and many aren't that tame, so if you just want another bird so that you can cuddle with them, it might not be the best idea.

I hope that you might be able to adopt a birdie someday. Wishing you the best of luck!

-AnĆØ

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Iā€™m really sorry about Frodo. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you ā¤ļø
Sadly nothing will ever be exactly the way he was. Not all birds, regardless of species, will be cuddly. So donā€™t have any high expectations.
I hope you figure things out soon.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You are young and under the care of your Parents. Several years from now, you will have a Job and your own apartment /home and you can have Parrots of your choice. That said, the information provided above is Great! All Parrots have their own personalities and most do not like being cuddled! Understandable, since their bones are very light and can brake with ease!

While in your Parents home, they set the rules! Start working told an excellent career that will provide you the monies you will need to make your choices in life! Do not be surprised when its your turn to tell your child, no! You will likely find it not that enjoyable.

OP
TenthDoctor34

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
I'm sorry to hear about Frodo.. just remember not all birds will be like him and many aren't that tame, so if you just want another bird so that you can cuddle with them, it might not be the best idea.

I hope that you might be able to adopt a birdie someday. Wishing you the best of luck!

-AnĆØ
it not nessicarily the cuddling. I know not all birds do, just miss an indoor bird to hang out with, Dipsey loves people but he just unpredictable and the bitey also happens if cuddling stops, I have had cuddly and tame birds and avairy raised one who are flighty and only want food and then me to go away. Least I am sure they used to think just feed me and go away strange person. Its more missing having a tame indoor bird.

I have had birds my whole life so far.

OP
TenthDoctor34

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
You are young and under the care of your Parents. Several years from now, you will have a Job and your own apartment /home and you can have Parrots of your choice. That said, the information provided above is Great! All Parrots have their own personalities and most do not like being cuddled! Understandable, since their bones are very light and can brake with ease!

While in your Parents home, they set the rules! Start working told an excellent career that will provide you the monies you will need to make your choices in life! Do not be surprised when its your turn to tell your child, no! You will likely find it not that enjoyable.
Yeah I know that while live at home I have no choice unless they let me. Just they have let me have birds my whole life until now. It was always as long as I looked after them. I know all birds are very different as I have had handtames as well as aviary raised. Just meant Frodo was cuddly. It was more the head rubs then actual cuddles so his little bones were safe.

But I think I am going to be stuck for a long time even at 28. I mean I also want to stay single and never have kids so changes of getting a house alone will be hard. People just don't give me the chance when it comes to jobs sadly even with my degree. Only reason have a job now is because people I worked with before wanted me to help them where they work now.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
it not nessicarily the cuddling. I know not all birds do, just miss an indoor bird to hang out with, Dipsey loves people but he just unpredictable and the bitey also happens if cuddling stops, I have had cuddly and tame birds and avairy raised one who are flighty and only want food and then me to go away. Least I am sure they used to think just feed me and go away strange person. Its more missing having a tame indoor bird.

I have had birds my whole life so far.
Maybe you could move the 'tiels in your home? Just a suggestion, though you did say that they are untame..

Cheers!

OP
TenthDoctor34

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
Iā€™m really sorry about Frodo. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you ā¤ļø
Sadly nothing will ever be exactly the way he was. Not all birds, regardless of species, will be cuddly. So donā€™t have any high expectations.
I hope you figure things out soon.
Hmm yeah I know they all different, Don't need a cuddly bird. Just miss having a handtamed inside bird, not fair to bring Dispey and Charlie in now. Even if they were hand-raised they have been in aviary and like the freedom. We didn't want to restrict their little wings. But yeah I just hope I dont have to be without a parrot at least. But may have to be until can find a way to have own place which probably be long time.

OP
TenthDoctor34

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
Maybe you could move the 'tiels in your home? Just a suggestion, though you did say that they are untame..

Cheers!
They aren't untame they just have known whole life being in aviary flying. Charlie stressed last time I tried to bring him in for a bit because he wasnt used to flying around a house anymore. Dipsey has come in in past but I think unfair to bring him in permanently as he used to being outside.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Consider changing your degree to one of the 'Hard' Science degrees that are searching for applicants!! As an example: Within two years you could have an Engining Degree working in a career that pays real money and enjoy paying taxes into your retirement. Jest apposed to the 'soft; science degrees that have thousands of individuals with the same degree looking for near anything. Look around, there are full ride grants available within many of those degree groups. Just assure that you attend a College that provides majors in those BS degreed subjects as they commonly have the full ride grants.

Since you are a hard working, individual, within six months after graduating you could be living in your own apartment and then a home!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts