Wondering what to buy for my budgie

petbirds101

Jul 16, 2021
I recently noticed that my 8 year old budgie had started making little wired sounds when breathing, this only lasted for a minute or so before he was back to normal but i started doing some research and learned that iodine deficiency is quite common for budgies. I don't think he has it, but i would like to prevent it in the future so i'm considering buying him an iodine block to put in his cage along with his calcium block, but i wanted to know if anyone else has tried an iodine block with their budgies, and if they are worth buying?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, I have zero experience with Budgies, but you ask a great question and with hope this bump will get you back-up on the board.

Like larger Parrots, the smaller guys need to be seen by their Avian Medical Professional as well. Never a good idea to add to a Parrots diet, especially if you are providing a health diet. Thus the foundation for regular Vet visits.

OP
P

petbirds101

Jul 16, 2021
Good evening, Thank you for your answer an update on my budgie, he is thankfully doing great and i haven't noticed anymore little sounds, in his last check up with his vet before the little sounds they said everything seemed fine, but i will definitely be booking him a new one to make sure it remains that way, and get my vets thoughts on the iodine block. Once again Tank you, and have a great night. :)

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi,

It is common for budgies to make respiratory sounds, particularly when they put an extra-effort like flying or get too much climbing activity.

Usually it is related with some sort of respiratory obstruction as a consequence of congested nasal condition. Often it is a flu like episode that is far too common for them as small birds are more vulnerable to temperature changes and/or wind.

So far this year I have got to treat my budgie twice for a similar condition. I am glad your bird is fine, but I would keep an eye open to this as such things kind of came and go frequently if not treated.

I would recommend an effort test to see if respiration gets too much affected and the noise can be heard again.

Usually it is easily treated, but you need veterinary advice and not take too long to act. Do not underestimate it and congratulations for observing such subtle condition, most people do not.

Cheers

OP
P

petbirds101

Jul 16, 2021
Good Afternoon, Thank you for your suggestions, i booked him an appointment with his vets to check for anything that might need to be treated, i am always on the look out for any unusual behaviors with my birds since they tend to hide any sickness very well. once again Thank you and have a great day:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts